Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal Comfort Calculation

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
stephanie.egger
1104 Views, 9 Replies

Thermal Comfort Calculation

I'm interested in how thermal comfort results are calculated, specifically PMV and PPD. Are they based on Fanger's equations directly, or a modification thereof? I'd like to know if there are any assumptions being made. I know you can control metabolic rate, but what about clo?

Thanks,

Stephanie

Stephanie Egger

Evangelist, Building Performance Analysis
blogs.autodesk.com/insight360
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi Stephanie, apologies for the late reply, but I just came across this thread while searching for something else.

Does this help: Thermal Comfort?

Edit: updated link.

Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply Ryan. At the time I needed clarification for my research. I've since moved on, but am still interested in the answer to my original question. 

The link you sent does a great job at describing the parameters of thermal comfort, but I was interested in the parameters Simulation CFD considers for thermal comfort. For example, is there an assumed clo value in the PMV and PPD calcuations SimCFD uses? 

Stephanie Egger

Evangelist, Building Performance Analysis
blogs.autodesk.com/insight360
Message 4 of 10

This is in the link that Ryan supplied (specifically here)

But when you enable Thermal comfort you must specify some values.

Metabolid rate

Clothing

Humidity

We do have default values placed in there however it is adjustable based on the assumptions you're trying to match

Message 5 of 10

Hi!

I have tried to solve some problems related to thermal comfort. One thing wasn't fully clear to me that thermal comfort factors are adjustable but if I have more then two occupant in my Scenario with different metabolic rate or clothing,how can i setup my conditions then? Does thermal comfort factors like metabolics rates have any features to assign to model's in scenario?

Thank you!

Simanto
Message 6 of 10
duanqa
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

Thanks for your reply.

But would you tell me how to specify Thermal comfort factors ( e.g. Metabolid rate, clothing, humidity) ? Where can find this setting?

Thank you!

Message 7 of 10

@duanqa wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

But would you tell me how to specify Thermal comfort factors ( e.g. Metabolid rate, clothing, humidity) ? Where can find this setting?

Thank you!

I have the same question..
Is anyone out there able to give just a simple direct answer to this question?

Message 8 of 10

To the other posts in this thread. 

Assigning those parameters is a function of modifying the values in the Results Quantities dialog. When you enable Thermal Comfort there is a dialog where you can set the values. This is also outlined in the Help 

For the question about multiple occupants with differing values. 

You would need to do that as separate scenarios

Run Scenario 1 with Comfort values based on Occupant 1

Run Scenario 2 with Comfort values based on Occupant 2

Message 9 of 10
duanqa

Thank you!

Message 10 of 10
cks562

Is PMV based on Fanger's equations directly, or a modification thereof?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report