Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal Analysis Heat Flux Through Walls

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Rycosso
1237 Views, 7 Replies

Thermal Analysis Heat Flux Through Walls

I am modeling walls to test thermal performance, and I have found that as my model gets more complex the difference between the interior and exterior heat flux gets larger. I applied a film coefficient boundary condition on the interior and exterior of the wall, and on all the edges I put a heat flux boundary 0.

Heat Flux and FC.JPG

At first I thought it was meshing, but I still had the issue when I made the mesh as small as the software allows. The problem also goes away if I apply the same material to all layers of the system.

Why am I getting a different heat flux on the interior and exterior of my model? 

Heat Flux and FC2.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Royce_adsk
in reply to: Rycosso

Try running with tight convergence with ADV5. Let us know if that helps!

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 8
Rycosso
in reply to: Royce_adsk

I turned the convergence to the tightest that the slider would go, and changed the Advection to ADV5, and my results did not change at all.
Message 4 of 8
apolo_vanderberg

Rycosso,

As your model gets more complex, be sure that the mesh quality through the thickness (of each material) remains at a similar mesh quality. It is possible that your more simplistic models had a better quality mesh through the material thicknesses such that we were able to maintain an energy balance more easily.

There is no need to assign a Heat Flux of 0W on the sides/edges, we automatically assume that an exterior wall without any thermal boundary condition will be treated as adiabatic.

Apolo

Message 5 of 8
Rycosso
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

Thank you Apolo for the suggestion. I have reduced the mesh in the model to the lowest the software will allow, and the change in the result is negligible. I have also tried the adaptive mesh options, and they do not resolve the issue either.

Thank you for the Adiabatic tip, that will help speed up the model making process.
Message 6 of 8
Rycosso

I have even tried the simple wall below to show that meshing could not be the issue. I made this super simplified wall model with 1" thick studs with the settings you described above, and I am still getting different heat fluxes on the interior and exterior.

1in stud.PNG

Wall Calc.PNG

Message 7 of 8
Royce_adsk

That is a 3.6% error which is typically regarded as a reasonable error.

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 8 of 8
megmac

Hi there.

Please see my post here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Simulation-CFD/Wall-Calculator-Heat-Flux-in-AutoDesk-Simulation-CFD/m-...

I believe I am having a similar problem (i.e., interior surface fluxes do not equal boundary fluxes at steady state).

Did you ever find a resolution to this problem?

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report