Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Reflectance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mwjansen
512 Views, 4 Replies

Solar Reflectance

I am running a model with the Solar Heating feature and analyzing surface temperature on a peice of equipment.  I want to run sensitivty analysis on the color/coating used for the equipment but there doesn't seem to be a way to modify the solar reflactance of the object (either through material properties of boundry conditions).  Many of the coating options we are considering have very similar emissivity values, but significantly different reflectance properties. 

Is there a way to assess/input solar reflectance with Autodesk Simulation CFD?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: mwjansen

The only way here is through emissivity/transmissivity and reflectivity (which is not shown but is used in the calc).

The 3 must sum to 1 so if you reduce either the emissivity or transmissivity, the relfectivity will increase accordingly.

Message 3 of 5
mwjansen
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Thank you for your reply Jon.

I understand the simplified equation you mention: emissivity + reflectivity + transmissivity = 1. However, the coatings I am analyzing all have a similar emissivity but widely varying reflectivity. Since there doesn't seem to be a way too specifically manipulate reflectivity I have instead reduced the incident radiation in the flag manager. So the new solar intensity value = (1-reflectence) * Maximum solar intensity. Unfortunately this also reduces the incoming heat levels to other components of the scenario, which would normally emit at high levels. 

I think this radiation detail may be beyond the functionality of CFD, however, I think i have gotten close enough with the surface temperature to accurately assess the natural convection component.

Message 4 of 5
Royce_adsk

I think your true needs would be spectral radiation which we do not do.  Good to hear you have gotten close enough to your expectations.

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 5 of 5
jake.mccleary

I have run into this same situation, and the idea you propose seems like a logical work-around (especially if you know the solar absorptivity of the material).  The only thing I might suggest/add would be to modify your modified solar flux by dividing by your material emissivity (i.e., abosrptivity * initial flux = modified flux / emissivity = slightly higher modified flux).  I think this would be more correct since the gray model exchanges e and a equivalent and so your flux would be slightly reduced by your material emissivity.  Probably doesn't make significant difference, but thought I'd throw that out there.  Not sure what you do if you have shiny parts and painted parts exposed to solar in the same model though (other than just treat it as a surface heat flux).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report