Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow simulation

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
arizawilmer
375 Views, 3 Replies

Slow simulation

I am running a simple example of cfd in cfd 2015 trial.

I am passing a fluid from one tank to other tank. . I have a amd  8350 with 16 gb of ram , ddr5 of 1gb and a ssd but the simulation time is faster in my latop that in the desktop .

Any clue what can be the reason of the slow simulation.

Wilmer Ariza
Researcher Control and SI with AI for autonomous underwater vehicles
PhD student(Australian Maritime College-University of Tasmania)
Master of engineering (Advance Manufacturing Technology- Swinburne University of Technology)
Mechatronic Engineer
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
waited
in reply to: arizawilmer

The relative performance between the laptop and desktop machines may have to do with the problem size.  Could be that if the problem element count is not too large, then the resources of the laptop are better matched to the problem being solved.  For example if your laptop has 2 or 4 cores and you have a 12 or 16 core desktop, the laptop may do a better job of running a problem with a moderate or small element count.

Dave

Message 3 of 4
arizawilmer
in reply to: waited

Checking the PC use i only using in the desktop a 1% of pc and a 20% of ram. that is to small compare to my latop with the same model. My laptop is a I7 2nd generation with 8 gb ram and 1 gb ddr3 of video.

Wilmer Ariza
Researcher Control and SI with AI for autonomous underwater vehicles
PhD student(Australian Maritime College-University of Tasmania)
Master of engineering (Advance Manufacturing Technology- Swinburne University of Technology)
Mechatronic Engineer
Message 4 of 4
waited
in reply to: arizawilmer

When you say, "Checking the PC use i only using in the desktop a 1% of pc and a 20% of ram", I am assuming that the task manager is showing 1% CPU usage and 20% Memory.  1% CPU usage does not seem right.  I have a 12 core Nehalem and I typically see ~ 60% CPU usage ( ~ 8 / 12 cores ),  Do you have a cfz file that you could attach?  What is the element count?

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report