Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation CFD and open channel flow

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
b.herman
1404 Views, 3 Replies

Simulation CFD and open channel flow

Can Simulation CFD work with open channel flow?  My typical application is a piece of equipment that is placed in an open channel (sides and bottom) with water flowing through it.  The water level is known. 

Can your program work with this type of open channel flow?  In the past, I recall we were told it cannot work with open channel flow.

Thanks, Bruce

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: b.herman

Hi Bruce,

We cannot, no. The best bet is to 'cap off' the fluid level.

Message 3 of 4
b.herman
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

HI, For my question on whether your program can do open channel flow, you had stated: "We cannot, no. The best bet is to 'cap off' the fluid level." I am not a fluids expert, so can you please explain what you mean by "capping off" the fluid level. Do you mean make it more like a pipe, with the channel completely enclosed and completely filled with water? Please confirm. Our application is not pressurized. There are pumps pulling the water through our equipment. Just wondering how realistic the result will be compared to what is actually happening. Best regards, Bruce Herman, P.E. Siemens Industry, Inc. Water Technologies Business Unit 1201 Sumneytown Pike Spring House, PA 19477 email: bruce.s.herman@siemens.com phone - 215-390-1325 fax - 215-390-1281 Website: www.siemens.com Important notice: This e-mail and any attachments thereof contain corporate proprietary information. If you have received it by mistake, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and delete this e-mail and its attachments from your system. Thank you.
Message 4 of 4
Royce_adsk
in reply to: b.herman

Hi Bruce,

Since the software cannot model a free surface we can not technically do channel flow.  What you willl need to do is define what would be the 'free surface' and maybe either model it like a pipe flow or assign a slip boundary condition to this 'free surface'.  That is the best we can really do at this time.

Sorry,

Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report