Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SimCFD to Mechanical plugin issues.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
nhahn
746 Views, 10 Replies

SimCFD to Mechanical plugin issues.

I tried asking this earlier but perhaps it got lost in another thread; I am just getting back to this task now.  I keep getting to the point where the plugin says

FEA Transfer ... Calculate Centroid Pressure

**** This operation could take some time please be patient ****

and then nothing happens.  It seems to exit the plugin because there is no processor activity and I can work in CFD fine (no hourglass, does not hang). No .xyz file is ever created.

I have tried various models and drastic simplifications, on two different machines, but this happens every time.  CFZ of the latest one attached (do you also need FEA files? which ones?).  I know the meshing is way too coarse for good results, but I just wanted to see if I could get the mapping to work. 

---

I have some other questions about the plugin, perhaps related.

For the SimCFD to Mechanical plugin, can it handle overlapping parts?  That is, can I create a box of air representing the virtual wind tunnel in CAD and put the model inside, and then suppress the air part in Sim Mechanical?  Or do I need to create the air volume in CFD or do a boolean subtraction of the model from the wind tunnel air in CAD?

Also, will the small object removal tool cause issues due to mismatch between SimCFD and Sim Mechanical models?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
marco.mueller
in reply to: nhahn

Hi,

it should work when you change the Windows language settings from German (or whatever) to English, so the csv-format exported from Sim Mechanical matches the CFD-format. Otherwise you could manually change the separators (; > , and , > .)

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Message 3 of 11
nhahn

Everything is already set to English on my machine.

Message 4 of 11
apolo_vanderberg

Nick,

At times this can be a permissions issue, either ensuring full read/write access to the folder that has the CFD study in it, or perhaps running SimCFD with "Run as Admin"

Outside of that, yes we can handle overlapping parts. In short the app uses the designated nodes from the mechanical mesh to probe the CFD results.

Apolo

Message 5 of 11
nhahn
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

Yes, thank you to you and James for your support on this via subscription phone support.  Running CFD as admin does solve the problem and the add-in finishes running, successfully creating the .xyz file.

Also, it also works without running as admin if I exit the simulation programs and change the simulation working folders (CFD & mechanical) so that I have "full control" in security settings (not just read/write/modify).  Upon restarting CFD as a regular user, the add-in finishes running.

I would make the suggestion to the add-in authors (beyond fixing permissions issues, since many users cannot run as admin in large organizations) that they write something to the message window when an error occurs, instead of just aborting without notice.

Message 6 of 11
nhahn

As an addendum - it appeared to work but it seems that the loads were always zero when I depended on directory permissions.

Only when I run CFD as admin do the loads actually transfer.
Message 7 of 11
radmariaj

Hi everyone!

I can't get .xyz file too.

Only this massage I've got from CFD:

"FEA Transfer ... Started

FEA Transfer ... Process Input Files

FEA Transfer ... Process Input Files: Nodes"

And nothing after it..

btw, I setup "full control" in security options and run application under "admin" rights.

Please, give me some advise or ask me if you need to know somthing else.

BR, Maria

P.S. files attached

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 11

Maria,

Did you check your csv file as per some of the other comments? does it contain commas or semi-colons?

Message 9 of 11

There are only dots between digits.

Please see file attached if necessary.

Message 10 of 11

You have semi colon between values

0.00000000000000e+000;-4.53377139201791e-003; 0.00000000000000e+000;000111;0

As outlined in previous threads as well as above, for the app we assume commas within the csv files (Nodes, elements, etc)
you can either manually Find&Replace the ; with , in each of those files.

Or you can change your systems default delimiter and redo the database translation.

Message 11 of 11

Yes, you're right.
I think it would be helpful:
I couldn't see ; between values befor I changed system's default delimiter settings. More than it, Excel couldn't too. I mean Find function didn't find ";" befor I changed the system settings.

Now I have .xyz file, thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report