Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim of custom waterblock

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
bikerbub
349 Views, 2 Replies

Sim of custom waterblock

I've run into a good few issues getting my sim to the point that it's at now, and I think I've gotten past most of the Win8.1/installation related issues. I've moved all of the project files over to my C:/ drive; they were originally on an internal storage volume. I'm new to CFM, but I've got enough experience with Inventor to be comfortable with the interface. I've spent a few days' free time reading through the wikihelp trying to get this sim to work, and I keep getting the "The Analysis has stopped because the Solver has exited unexpectedly" error. 

The goal of the design is to keep two power-mosfets cool. The Mosfets are represented in the sim by the copper pieces that are flush-constrained to the face opposite the inlet/outlet ports. They are through-hole mounted in the circuit design, so the Compact Thermal Model approach wouldn't quite work, but I don't know that my current approach is that much better. 

If I supress all parts of the imported model except the water, I can solve for flow and heat transfer, though the heat transfer information is useless at that point. If I add any of the parts back in to the simulation, it solves as far as "Meshing..." then quits with the aforementioned error message.

Thanks for your help
Josh

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: bikerbub

I made a few changes:

1. Remove the internal radiation boundary conditions (this gets it running)
  2. Add a temp to the inlet 
  3. Use Gap Refinement with 3 gap elements
  4. 10 layer of mesh enhancement at 1.2 
  5. Use SST turbulence model (hence the mesh enhancement change)

The mesh on the solids is pretty coarse, often only 1 element through the thickness, consider refinement.

Thanks,

Jon

Message 3 of 3
bikerbub
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Thanks Jon,

At its current rate, the sim will be done around 2am; hopefully it's worth it.

I am curious as to the purpose of the radiation boundary constraint though. Is it just an easier way of redefining emittivity as opposed to editing the material?

Josh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report