Discussion Groups

Simulation CFD

brandonnoska

Question about Symmetry

473 Views, 2 Replies
09-10-2012 01:16 PM

I have a model with several solid and fluid objects and when divided along a symmetry line it creates several solid and fluid surfaces including the heat source surface; i.e. the heat source is also divided along the symmetry line.  When I use the symmetry boundary condition, do I need to apply the boundary condition to all surfaces or only the fluid surfaces?  I think the answer is only the fluid surfaces based on my understanding of the symmetry boundary condition, but I need some clarificaiton to be sure.

Also, can symmetry be used to divide a compact thermal model object; i.e. my heat source is a CTM rather than just a a solid obejct, so do I need to apply symmetry to the compact thermal model surfaces as well?

BN

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
marco.mueller

Re: Question about Symmetry

09-19-2012 12:03 AM in reply to: brandonnoska

Hi,

you'll only need the fluid faces. Also the thermal resistances of the CTM's have to be doubled (if they are cut in 2 halfs) to get the same results as for the full model.

Please use plain text.
brandonnoska

Re: Question about Symmetry

10-09-2012 08:06 AM in reply to: marco.mueller

Thanks.  I did not realize that I needed to cut the Rjc in half.  I did know that you have to cut the power by 1/2, but not the Rjc.

Please use plain text.