Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Symmetry

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
brandonnoska
693 Views, 2 Replies

Question about Symmetry

I have a model with several solid and fluid objects and when divided along a symmetry line it creates several solid and fluid surfaces including the heat source surface; i.e. the heat source is also divided along the symmetry line.  When I use the symmetry boundary condition, do I need to apply the boundary condition to all surfaces or only the fluid surfaces?  I think the answer is only the fluid surfaces based on my understanding of the symmetry boundary condition, but I need some clarificaiton to be sure.

Also, can symmetry be used to divide a compact thermal model object; i.e. my heat source is a CTM rather than just a a solid obejct, so do I need to apply symmetry to the compact thermal model surfaces as well?

BN

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi,

you'll only need the fluid faces. Also the thermal resistances of the CTM's have to be doubled (if they are cut in 2 halfs) to get the same results as for the full model.

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Message 3 of 3

Thanks.  I did not realize that I needed to cut the Rjc in half.  I did know that you have to cut the power by 1/2, but not the Rjc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums