Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propeller Fluid Analysis

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
HHOA1307
1516 Views, 9 Replies

Propeller Fluid Analysis

Hello all,

I'm trying to simulate a propeller, turning at 1000 RPM, to calculate the thrust it creates and/or the volume of air it passes through per minute.

My part is only the propeller with no shaft, pin, no static parts, etc. As you can see in the below screen shot, I've defined the Ext. Volume as air and the propeller as solid ABS. I've also defined the "rotor" as Rotatinal Region but I can't assign it.

Unbenannt.png

I went through the "Centrifugal Pumps and Axial Fans" tutorial; but, I apparently miss some points. If I try to assign it to the Ext. Volume, then I get the error: "No neighboring fluids found". If I assign it to the part (instead of solid ABS) then the simulation don't produce results...

Attached is the simulation files.

I'd very much appreciate your help!

Best regards,

Kaan

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
HHOA1307
in reply to: HHOA1307

I've also checked this post with the example: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Simulation-CFD/Rotating-region-problem/td-p/5050284

But still no clue...
Message 3 of 10
srhusain

Looking at your attachment, I see that you have only two parts:

You need to have the rotating solid embedded within another cylindrical region. So, in your case, you have to start with the vanes with a cylinder part around it to represent the rotating region. then create the rectangular volume enclosing these two parts. Thus, there would need to be a total of 3 parts for a proper materials setup. Note that the cylindrical part only has to be large enough to surround the solid part.

In this way, when you assign the cylinder enclosing the solid as a rotating region, the software will no longer complain about not finding a fluid region.

Message 4 of 10
HHOA1307
in reply to: srhusain

Hi srhusain,

Should the cylindrical region come from my design file? Or is it something I can add inside the Simulation CFD?

Many thanks and best regards,
Kaan
Message 5 of 10
HHOA1307

Ok, it seems I'm getting there slowly. I managed it through an assembly file.
Could you confirm this is the right way?

This time, it inserted some 13 different solids. (I guess it counts all the shapes as a part). And it gives error on meshing. Working on it; I will refine the design...

Thanks a lot,
Kaan
Message 6 of 10
srhusain

AFAIK, you have to create the cylinder in CAD as the external volume creation facility in SIMCFD is limited to rectangular/parallelpiped shapes. A cylindrical volume around the rotor will enable the mesher to form a sliding mesh interface between it and the flow channel, that is, create a rotor-stator peripheral finite element face-set.

You should be able to create a separate cylindrical part and mate that with the rotor under an assembly. This is what i would do in Inventor. Not sure how the other CAD products work.

Message 7 of 10
HHOA1307
in reply to: srhusain

Inventor rocks! 🙂

Thanks a lot srhusain, I will let you know!
Message 8 of 10
heath.houghton

More to the point of needing a different geometry and modeling approach, I have attached a geometry file that has what I would use as the basis for future analysis for this model.   I did split the trailing surface of the aerofoil shape to give the mesher an additional point to grab on to.  I have a support share file that you could use and I would have attached it, but it is just a little too large for the forum limitations on filesize.  If you'd like that file, PM me and we can figure out a way to get that to you.

Heath

Heath Houghton
Principal Business Consultant
Message 9 of 10
HHOA1307
in reply to: heath.houghton

Thanks a lot Heath,

Is your proposal to generate more accurate results or to get better mesh? Jon was mentioning also to run the model in a tunnel environment...

Below is where I got so far and I guess I should give a shot to your solution to get better mesh results. As you can see in the picture, my meshing attempt didn't succeed much 🙂

preview.jpg

You can find attached my parts and the CFD. I will PM you for the file transfer.

Many thanks and best result,

Kaan

Message 10 of 10
heath.houghton

That was what my first attempt at meshing looked like.  It is due to some extreme high curvature at the trailing side of the aerofoil and the geometry is as one continuous surface for the aerofoil.  I split the surface and a little mesh control and we have a nice efficient mesh. I don't know that the wind tunnel I placed around the assembly is right sized.  I suspect it is too large and that there is actually some sort of shroud directing air around propeller, but you can use the model I supplied to get an understanding of the geometry required to run the rotating frame of reference analysis and also the geometry mod needed for the aerofoil to allow the mesher to capture the extreme curvature on the trailing side.

6-2-2014 5-20-39 PM.jpg

Heath Houghton
Principal Business Consultant

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report