Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Particle Inclusion

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
491 Views, 8 Replies

Particle Inclusion

Hi there, 

I am totally new to the world of simulation but online tutorials and a bit of fooling around have given me a good idea of how to simulate air flow through a nozzle. However, I was wondering whether it would be possible to include particles into the air flow, the reason being that I am trying to simulate a jet of air carrying abrasive grit and wanted to show the motion of the particles through different nozzle shapes. 

Thank You

Alain

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
OmkarJ
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes you can first obtain a converged solution of air flow in the nozzle. And then use massed particle lines to simulate the grit.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: OmkarJ

Thank you I will look into that further!!
Message 4 of 9
apolo_vanderberg

Once you get comfortable with the Massed Particles, you can even use them to look at erosion aspects. There is a SimTV video that you can watch that outlines how to look at Erosion.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

Great that's exactly what I need, would it be possible to see the erosion
on a surface just outside the nozzle? that is I do not wish to view the
erosion on the nozzle walls, but on the surface it is being projected upon.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Hi, Apolo,

Could you please post the link to the simTV video?

Also, any tutorial on how to add massed particle?

Thanks!

Pei-Ying

Message 7 of 9
apolo_vanderberg

Here is the link for SimTV with all the quick videos we post there.

yes you wuld be able to model a nozzle and a plate to see how the nozzle projects the particles on to the plate.

To do this you will need to model the nozzle the air domain between the nozzle and the plate and then the plate as well

Consider this -

Black is the air domain

Green is the nozzle at some distance above

Red is the plate

Boundary conditions would be needed at the inlet of the nozzle (on top as oriented by the quick sketch) as well as the outlets on the lateral sides of the domain.

Untitled.png

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Hi, I can't find the link to the SIMtv on your last post, also with respect to the modelling.

Apart from the plate and the nozzle, and air space has to also be designed? how would I go about doing so.

Finally I was wondering whether the particles could be fed at a flow rate rather than all at once from the grid intersections?

Message 9 of 9
apolo_vanderberg

you would make the air domain in CAD

SimTV

As far as the traces, there are no controls for a feed rate. Erosion results are based on the number of traces (as a form of feed rate control)

1 trace/particle  will do less erosion than 100 traces/particles

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report