Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for hardware requirement

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
balajig8
808 Views, 3 Replies

Need advice for hardware requirement

Hi,

I am a student in TU-Munich.

I have license to Inventor and CFD 2015.

Currently  i am doing my master thesis.

I would like to run a simulation of Full Hydro-kinetic turbine assembly which i modelled with Inventor.

I would like to Simulate with CFD, basically i know it takes lot of hardware power for simulation. But i would like to know the exact hardware spec from experts to confirm for hardware purchase.

Problem Description: Picture Attached

I would like to state our current Hydro kinetic Turbine model…appox size LxBxH – 3mx1.6mx2m

I would like to run CFD simulations considering the domain – upstream with 20 meters in front and 40 m downstream... so totally its around 65 meters long

1.        Velocity 1-4m/s
  2.        Fully submerged flow, I mean the turbine is not free surface flow.
  3.        The inflow would be steady.

Also could you suggest me, whether it is feasible to run simulations with dedicated Workstations or through HPC service.

Expecting your reply soon.

Thanks

Balaji

Shaken not Stirred.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: balajig8

Hi Balaji,

I would have thought that the spec on our Wiki would be a good starting point. The answer is so dependent on budget.

Check out the machine here and see what you think: Simulation CFD Minimum Hardware Requirements.

I would suggest more RAM, perhaps 64GB.

Then you could consider more processing power, although you would not see an increase in the solver speed until you moved from the recommended 8, to 16 cores (assuming also that they have the same clock speed).

I hope that helps.

Jon

Message 3 of 4
balajig8
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Thank you very much for suggestion,

I would like to also know whether it would be wise to run simulations by Autodesk CFD 360 Cloud service or by Hardware Support.

I hear the Cloud service is run by HPC.

Thank you once again.

Shaken not Stirred.
Tags (3)
Message 4 of 4
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: balajig8

It really depends on your focus. The cloud is awesome for running batch simulations as they can all run in parellel, which means answers fast.

If you are running very large models, you do have the download time post run to consider. This is where your internet download speed will be in important factor and a desktop might be more suitable.

With a full turbine, you are likely to need a good deal of mesh, which will mean a sustantial model. There is an option to have Simulation Flex (cloud enabled) with local solve so you can readliy switch between the two. When you run you simply choose 'cloud' or 'local' 🙂

Thanks,

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report