Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NACA0012 Inventor model

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
afshin2012
1292 Views, 3 Replies

NACA0012 Inventor model

Hi Royce,

Would you please post the model (or let me know where I can download it from) you made to analyse the NACA0012?

I would like to learn how you've have made the refinement regions around the airfoil, I'm using SolidWorks and my layout seems a little different in CFD simulation.

Thank you,

Afshin K.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Royce_adsk
in reply to: afshin2012

I would suggest that you review the webinar that I hosted on this topic.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/simulation-cfd/learn-explore/caas/video/youtube/watch-v-N4z8Hc...

FILES: https://autodesk.app.box.com/cfd9

Cheers!

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 4
afshin2012
in reply to: Royce_adsk

I've watched that several times, It's a very informative webinar, also I've downloaded and simulated the "NACA 0012 AOA 10.cfz" file, and got the same result as you have presented.

But as I've mentioned on my previous post, I'm a little confused about the model (specially the refinement regions).

Am I right that the model is made of 5 overlapping surfaces (I want to make sure that they are not hallow "like a doughnut")? Or is it a large rectangular surface (the far field domain) and you drew those curves on top of that?

Did you draw (copy/past) an additional curve around each region after you've created those surfaces? The reason I'm asking this is because I've noticed that you have suppressed the surface of the airfoil (probably you didn't want that to be meshed,...) but then you've used those curves to define the refinements around the airfoil, so are those part of the airfoil surface or the region around the airfoil? Does the program consider those curves as a Solid or Air material? Does that affect the result?

Does the airfoil curve need to be made of two separate open curves (top and bottom)?

Thanks,

Afshin

Message 4 of 4
Royce_adsk
in reply to: afshin2012

When the surface were drawn within Inventor we had the surface overlapping, but isn't required. You could just have neighboring patches of surface.

When you have overlapping surface we will do a boolean operation so that there is in the end only 1 surface at a specific location. This is very similar to what we do with 3D geometry.  

When it comes to wall in the model, like the example of the suppressed airfoil.  We assume that all edge (2D) that are external to the domain (Think we don't consider a shared edge between two air surface) are walls. Therefore, we don't have to mesh the airfoil to capture the wall effects.

The number of edges that you use to define your airfoil is up to you. I've seen some people define it as 1 edge, I generally like 2 edges, and other break it up into smaller segments depending on their needs so they can get a more refined wall force output from the Wall Calculator.

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report