Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meshing advice - Autodesk 360 crashing during volume mesh

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jwilke77
582 Views, 2 Replies

Meshing advice - Autodesk 360 crashing during volume mesh

Trying to mesh a model with 96 rectangular heat emitting (10W) aluminum boxes inside a 7" x 36" x 18" aluminum case, cooled by air.

When using automatic mesh with default settings, I get roughly 1.2million elements. All shapes are basic box shapes, with 3-4mm gaps between them in space. When I generate mesh or solve, I get to volume meshing before the program crashes.

When I change to run a manual coarse mesh at size '24', yields about 600k elements, stops running and gives an error '1201-101' "Solver unexpectedly quit"

Am I hitting a limit with AD360 as far as large and small ratios of elements? Typically tech support has been able to offer a element size and magically it runs, but looking for some theory behind this.

CFD-test.JPG

File created in Solidworks 2010 sp5, exporting into Autodesk 360 Simulation CFD2013.

Attempting to run a basic air flow analysis, with 3 fans with a fan curve profile. Picture above shows a large inlet air volume and exhaust air volume to allow for developing airflow (method used back in the BRNI CFDesign days). each outer shell is an aluminum case 3mm thick, inner blocks are aluminum with 4mm between each, each block has a 10W load on them.

Still the main issue is just getting a proper mesh. No matter what method I try, AD360 either crashes and corrupts the file, or gives me a 1201-101 error. and fails to mesh.

I have not had this problem so far on smaller assemblies simulations with AD360, but this larger assembly seems to have problems.

1201-101.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
scott.werner
in reply to: jwilke77

When I change to run a manual coarse mesh at size '24', yields about 600k elements, stops running and gives an error '1201-101' "Solver unexpectedly quit"

The 1201 error means "Meshing Error: Model problems and/or volume mesh setting too coarse for volume A near X Y Z (Code 1201)  (A is the volume ID; X, Y, and Z are the coordinates of the problem)". So in this case, the volume ID is 101. I recommend reading http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17496737&linkID=18154757 for possible solutions.

Scott Werner
SQA Engineer
Digital Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.
Tags (2)
Message 3 of 3
jwilke77
in reply to: scott.werner

Thanks Scott, I will take a look.   I simplified my model, and it seems to have ran.  I am wondering if I need to seperate my inlet air boundries, since I have basically 7 "ducts" underneath pulling air as well, possibly this is causing issues since the main inlet volume is then being split into 8 sections?

Thanks for the link as well!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report