Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mesh: Surface in flow volume using a solid

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Cnoj
374 Views, 4 Replies

mesh: Surface in flow volume using a solid

Hi,

In the pic below I've used one surface of a volume to create a solid surface. The rest of the volume is air, same as the surrounding volume. My question is: is there any way to surpress all but noe surface of this volume, so that only that surface is meshed? I don't want to leave a void, I'd like it's envelope to be filled by the mesh of the surrounding volume rather than having the finer mesh as in the pic.

Would it be better to model the surface as a surface part in inventor rather than bringing it in as a solid? What would the advantages/disadvantages be? I'm working on large sheet metal structures so I have lots of large thin barriers/deflectors etc and looking for the most efficient way to model and mesh.

Thanks,

Jon C.

2013-03-11 19_13_25-Autodesk Simulation CFD 2013   surf3_1__Design 1__Scenario 1.gif

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
OmkarJ
in reply to: Cnoj

From what I understand from your model, you want to use the surfaces of the inner cubical solid, without having to mesh it. If there is no heat transfer involved, I'd just create two different solids in inventor, the inner cube and the outer fluid domain, and then in SimCFD, will suppress the inner cubical solid. 

This way, there will be a void in the mesh in the place of the inner solid, but then, that IS the efficient practice if there is no role of that solid there.

OJ

Message 3 of 5
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: OmkarJ

There is an alternative here:

Simply model the surface in Inventor as a simple surface, no need to bring a solid through.

OR

Make the small volume air and apply a solid surface to one face of it - this not ideal for meshing, using the other suggestion will be better

Message 4 of 5
Cnoj
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

I guess I didnt explain to well (end of a long day).  'Make the small volume air and apply a solid surface to one face of it' was exactly what I did.

My concern is that denser mesh that comprises the rest of the small volume (green/yellow in the pic). It's air but will it's different mesh density or the transition in density where it meets the surounding air volume cause any issues? Also I'm concerned about overall element count as I have a lot of large flat sheet parts to model this way.

Are there disadvantages to bringing in surface parts rather than solids?  I seem to remember being advised to stick with solids but can't remember why..

Thanks,

Jon.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 5 of 5
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Cnoj

It does look a little coarse - why don't you try refining it and also the Mesh Adaption which will optimise the mesh for you automatically?

No 2 adjacent elements can be 10% larger than each other by default you could always reduce this in the Advanced meshing window (Edge Length = 1.1 by default, try 1.05 maybe?)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report