Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh Refinement Regions settings do not get saved entirely

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
max.yang
859 Views, 3 Replies

Mesh Refinement Regions settings do not get saved entirely

Using 2012 Simulation CFD, I noticed a serious issue with the Mesh Refinement Regions.

If I go to Mesh Size > Regions and set three different regions (Region 1, 2 and 3, say with 3 different mesh sizes), I see the corresponding mesh sizes when I click on the different regions from the Step 1: add region listbox. If I click OK to close that window and then tries to go back to the Mesh Refinement Regions, all the corresponding mesh sizes have a value of zero! Visually, the mesh sizes are stil represented with the different node spacing but the mesh size values all show zero. This is a rather annoying especially if the user does not write down mesh sizes on a piece of paper. There is no way to tell what the mesh sizes are, other than a rather time-consuming, trial-and-error method to reconstruct these refinement regions.

Is this a bug and can this be fixed soon?

By the way, is there any chance of having a key-in input for the refinement regions (instead of using click-and-drag only)? The key-in input would be more precise and time-saving, especially when dealing with 3D models and many refinement regions.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Royce_adsk
in reply to: max.yang

Hi Max,

I just want to clarify one thing.  Are you using a manual mesh or automatic sizing?

Great commen on adding more controls.  There have been quite a few enhancement request regarding that topic.  We are looking into adding better controls to refinement regions in the future.

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 4
max.yang
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Royce, I was using manual mesh sizing.

I did another test with automatic mesh sizing and the refinement regions settings are kept! It looks like the refinement regions mesh size will only disappear and become zero when manual mesh sizing is used for the simulation. Unfortunately I do use the manual mesh sizing quite frequently.

Is there a winter Simulation CFD 2012 update coming soon that could fix that?

Another refinement regions feature request is the ability to rotate the regions in 2D simulations too. And if the rotation angle can be control by key-in input, that would make life much easier for users to setup regions.

Message 4 of 4
Royce_adsk
in reply to: max.yang

Hi Max,

I have seen this issue as well and I have worked with the same process as you in terms of writing down my settings.  I like to use the notepad that is in the design study to keep track of these.  

I have forwarded this issue to our QA team to confirm that they are aware.

Thanks for the feedback!

Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report