Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass Not Being Conserved in Porous Solid

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
MDMeredith
397 Views, 7 Replies

Mass Not Being Conserved in Porous Solid

This is the same simulation as "Distributed resistance problems "that Dave the employee helped me on earlier this week.  Now I have the problem that the mass and volume flow rates through the distributed resistance bed are changing over about a threefold ratio.  That is to say the flow into the bed does not equal the flow out. Is there a setting that will cause strict conservation of matter?

In the attached images you can see a pipe entering a tank with a conical top angling up through a perforated plate distributor.  The prous medium is in the large cylinder below the inlet pipe.  The isometric shows the velocity profile across the bed near the top and near the bottom of the bed.  As you can see there is a lot higher velocity near the top.  The velocity profile near the bottom is in balance with what the flwo should be.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MDMeredith
in reply to: MDMeredith

Working on this further I find that mass gets conserved more and more with maassive numbers of iteration.  At about 12000 iterations the discrepeancy between in and out of the porous medium is about 25%.  Grasphs of TKE and TED are still rising monotonically and not converging.

To refine the question, how can we get this to converge more rapidly or maintain conservation of mass as we go?  

Message 3 of 8
srhusain

Can you post the support file so that we can see how you have setup the problem (rename it with a .zip extension first)?

Message 4 of 8
MDMeredith
in reply to: srhusain

Posted files twice but haven't seen any response.

Message 5 of 8
derrek.cooper

Hello MD.. Where have you posted the files? I do not see anything posted since Syed's response on 8/20?

Derrek Cooper
Director, Inventor Products
Message 6 of 8
MDMeredith
in reply to: derrek.cooper

Let's try zipping the file.

Message 7 of 8
srhusain

Any particular reason why you have the coupled_solver_flag on?

Message 8 of 8
MDMeredith
in reply to: srhusain

Just something I tried.  No particular reason for flag.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report