Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintaining CFD geometry alongside production geometry?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Cnoj
498 Views, 4 Replies

Maintaining CFD geometry alongside production geometry?

I'm about to have some 1500+ part assemblies simplified to make them 'CFD-ready' and I'm looking ahead wondering how I'll keep these files up to date with our constantly evolving production geometry.

Rather than just making a separate, duplicate fileset and simplifying the geometry, are there any methods that will keep my CFD-ready inventor files somehow linked to my production Inventor files so that changes on the production side will propagate through to them? Are there any recommended or useful practices for setting up the CFD-ready geometry so that changes to production geometry don't have to be duplicated entirely by hand? I'm even concerned about how I'll actually track which parts have changed in production geometry since the last CFD update. Are there any ways to do this from within the cad package?

Thanks!

Jon

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
OmkarJ
in reply to: Cnoj

I currently don't link production and CFD geometries but parameterize the dimensions. I generally create excel sheet consisting of the dimensions and the name for dimensions (say id for internal dia etc) and link it to Inventor file. WHen you are giving dimension in sketch mode, or extrusion/revolve etc,  just use the names for dimensions (e.g. id) instead of numeric values. So in future when you want to change a dimension, just open the excel file, change the dimension value, save the excel file and update the geometry in Inventor. 

For the sake of linking production and cfd geometry, you can use the same excel sheet for  both. Such parameterization helps me a lot, and serves a quick way to generate the CFD model of any size.

Message 3 of 5
marco.mueller
in reply to: OmkarJ

have you tried the shrink wrap functionality?

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Message 4 of 5
Cnoj
in reply to: marco.mueller

I haven't tried Shrinkwrap. Could you describe the workflow please?

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 5 of 5
marco.mueller
in reply to: Cnoj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukvt4uuhxK0

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report