Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing question for cluster

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jvbrad
1001 Views, 6 Replies

Licensing question for cluster

Hello all,

CFdesign had the "HPC module", which was required for >4 cores (single system or cluster). The HPC module requirement seems to have been removed from Simulation CFD 2012. Can anyone tell me what the licensing requirements are now for a cluster? Do you just need a single solver license for the head node, regardless of the number of cores/nodes the cluster has in total?

Many thanks,

James.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Royce_adsk
in reply to: jvbrad

Hi James,

You are correct. The license requirements for the HPC module are now included with the solver licenses and a seperate license is no longer needed.  CFD 2012 will support 2^n cores on the machine that you are using out of the box.

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 7
jvbrad
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Thanks Royce. Sorry I'm being a bit dumb - when you say it supports 2 to the n cores "on the machine you are using" could you clarify what you mean (is n the number of solver licences?) For example, let's assume I have a 4 node cluster, each node has 4 cores - so 16 cores in total. Will a single solver license on the head node suffice, or are you saying we need 4 licences on the head node (2^4) to cover 16 cores?

Thanks,

James.

Message 4 of 7
jvbrad
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Hi Royce - any chance of an update on this please? What is "n" when you say that CFD 2012 will support 2^n cores?

Thanks,

James.

Message 5 of 7
derrek.cooper

Hi James.. we will leverage chip sets that are 2^n # of cores (4, 8, 16).. So chips with 6 cores, we will use 4 cores..

Derrek Cooper
Director, Inventor Products
Message 6 of 7
jvbrad
in reply to: derrek.cooper

OK I see, many thanks for explaining that Derrek.

Do you have any info on whether a cluster requires more than one license, or will a single solver license (installed on the head node) cover all available cores (ie: including those on the compute nodes too)?

James.

Message 7 of 7
jvbrad

Just replying to my own question ... no extra licenses are required for a cluster vs a single workstation. Good news!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report