Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor - Launch Active Model very slow

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
DWhiteley
1065 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor - Launch Active Model very slow

I've got a 250 part assembly that I am trying to Launch to CFDesign 2012 from inventor 2012. It takes about an hour before I have to kill the process! I seem to be getting hundreds of "Executing Edit Attributes" messages at the bottom of Inventor.

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
derrek.cooper
in reply to: DWhiteley

Hi Dave.. An hour seems longer than I would have expect. But, each of the part attribute data is being written prior to launch, so that is the messages you are seeing. We do that so that we can leverage associativity and some of the automation to track the parts location and material data etc.

How much memory do you have on your machine?

A quick test would be to solve as an ACIS (*.sat) and read it in direct. This will by-pass the attribute writing and will be faster, however, it will also not allow you to leverage associativity.

We can take a look at the model to give you a better idea. It will fall under NDA, of course. Would be a good test model to see what we can do to speep up the process.

derrek

Derrek Cooper
Director, Inventor Products
Message 3 of 10
DWhiteley
in reply to: derrek.cooper

I have 8gb RAM Derrek. I'll try using SAT to see if that helps. Thanks for your fast reply.

Message 4 of 10
DWhiteley

I tried uisng SAT but got a licence error - ****!!!!

Message 5 of 10
derrek.cooper

Dave.. if this is still an issue, ping me in the AM and I can work to give you a temp license to get you going

derrek

Derrek Cooper
Director, Inventor Products
Message 6 of 10
DWhiteley

Thanks for the offer Derrek, but we're going to order the relevant NFR today.

Dave

Message 7 of 10
jpate015

I am also having the same problem with Inventor.  I have had to rely on the SAT files for all simulation CFD imports.  The "Launch active model" button just doesn't seem to do anything for a really long time.  I have left it overnight before, and CFD is brought up in the morning.  That is too long in my opinion.  The model is not even close to 250 parts either, and the SAT files work just fine importing directly.  

I have attached the file that I am using.  It is somewhat big, but my computer is more than capable of handling it.

Thanks for the help,

John

Message 8 of 10
jpate015

I guess I should include the referenced parts in this assembly.  I will have to email them to someone as I cannot attach all of them.

It is interesting to note that when I import this model via SAT format, the simulation does not run correctly.  In this particular case the wheels spin much faster than if I were to use the "Launch active model" button.  However, I am 4 hours into waiting for this button to do anything.  

Thanks,

John

Message 9 of 10
marco.mueller
in reply to: jpate015

Hey John,

I've seen that if you create parts from scratch in Inventor 2014 this problem seems to be gone (pretty much), loading times are faster.

Also you can import iam/ipt to CFD 2014 directly without conversion to SAT, which is faster.

If you use SAT files instead,  the unit may be not transferred and has to be changed in CFD, that may be the reason for the deviance.

Marco

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Message 10 of 10
jpate015

I'm sure there are many bugs that have been fixed with 2014.  However, the team that I am a member of uses 2013 inventor and, while I could still use CFD 2014, inventor 2014 is not an option because 2013 will not open anything made in a later version. 

Is there any fixes for the 2013 package?

Thanks,

john

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report