Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal Fluid Volume creation for Revit models

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
ajay.s
1091 Views, 12 Replies

Internal Fluid Volume creation for Revit models

Dear CFD Experts,

I am interested in creating Internal Fluid Volume for Revit models eg: House. If I am interested in analysing internal flow & Occupany comfort inside a house/building, CFD requires Internal Fluid Volume. Even though, my model is closed one, CFD did not generate a fluid volume inside while opening.

Void fill tool did not help me out.

Can you guide me through steps for creating INTERNAL FLUID VOLUME inside house/building (multi-floors) using CFD tool. 

Many Thanks

Regards,

AJay

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: ajay.s

The likelehood here is that the house is not 100% sealed - that or you have some complex geometry/very small gaps inside preventing CFD from creating the volume.

To check the former, place the entire model in an air box (using the Geometry tools within CFD) and apply a 1psi pressure internally and a P=0 somewhere on the external wall of the air domain. Mesh only the air.

When you run this, you should find that CFD helps you highlight a leakage path - usually an ISO surface is most useful here.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jon

Message 3 of 13
ajay.s
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Dear Jon,

Thanks for the quick reply.... nice idea to test for leakage... but my model do not have leakage and yet could not generate any fluid volume.... consider scenario working in AEC sector with several revit models dialy and I need to perform internal analysis ... how can I generate fluid region for my models ?

I have tried a rectangular box from fusion, but CFD did not build/generate any fluid region for it internally.....

pls guide me in this regard

Thanks in advance

Ajay

cfd house

Message 4 of 13
Jon.Wilde

Hi Ajay,

Did you run a test with a 0 psi somewhere on an internal wall and a P=0 on the outer domain? 

It looks like you have some flow here... although I cannot tell if this is because you have an external flow set on the main air domain.

If you build the external domain, as soon as you hide it (if it is joined with the internal through a leakage path) then the internal would also disappear..

Could you share a CFZ file?

Thanks,

Jon

Message 5 of 13
ajay.s

@wildej wrote:

Hi Ajay,

Did you run a test with a 0 psi somewhere on an internal wall and a P=0 on the outer domain? 

It looks like you have some flow here... although I cannot tell if this is because you have an external flow set on the main air domain.

If you build the external domain, as soon as you hide it (if it is joined with the internal through a leakage path) then the internal would also disappear..

Thanks,

Jon

@wildej wrote:

Hi Ajay,

Thanks,

Jon

Dear Jon,

I have attached the CFZ file, pls guide me through internal fluid volume creation.

Cheers,

Ajay

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 13
Jon.Wilde

Hi Ajay,

Just an FYI - this cannot be done in CFD and must be done automatically when you bring the model through from Revit.

I would also strongly advise you to create the external void in Revit, as we will have a gap underneath the building if we use the CFD tool - typically not ideal to have a floating building 🙂

Take a look at the windows too, can you make them simpler? All the detail just adds to the mesh - is it necessary?

I can also see a hole which would prevent CFD from creating the internal part:

Hole.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

Message 7 of 13
ajay.s

Dear Jon,

Yes u r right in this regard.... with this house model from revit !!!
But I was trying several other models (even CFD tutorial models eg: Solar heating model (UGNX) into CFD, but could not get the fluid volume unless MODELED IN CAD...
Can you provide an example in which CFD creates Fluid volume internally without having in CAD....
it would be of great help.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Aj
Message 8 of 13
Jon.Wilde

The process should be simple: bring through any hollow and 100% sealed model from Revit into CFD and we will fill it for you.

As an example I have uploaded a rvt file that is hollow and sealed. Read this into CFD and you will see what I mean - the output bar will report back saying how many additional parts were created 🙂

Here there are 3 and you will find them at the bottom of the list of materials in the Design Study Bar, just called 'Volume'

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

Cheers,

Jon

Message 9 of 13
ajay.s

Dear Jon,

Yes its clear now and Thank you so much in sending the model with clarity.
Good job, highly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Cheers,
Ajay
Message 10 of 13
Jon.Wilde

Hi Ajay,

Not a problem at all, best of luck with your model!

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 11 of 13
sruthi27venkatesh

Hi I would like to download the revit file too I would like to check it out.Could you please send me the link to download the file 🙂 Thanks
Message 12 of 13
JStirlingF3H5B

Jon,

Could you please repost the referenced rvt file?

Thanks,

Justin

Message 13 of 13
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: JStirlingF3H5B

Hi all,

I no longer have this file.

If you are running into problems, please could you start a new thread with your own model and we will help to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report