Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run a new simulation with previous results included?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
paul.bunuan
551 Views, 9 Replies

How to run a new simulation with previous results included?

I'm trying to run a series of thermal heat transfer simulations where I initially run a scenario with a set of BCs; run a simulation for a few seconds; obtain resuts; and then reuse the those results as the ICs for the next heat transfer simulation... and so on.

I initially thought I could just clone the first design study and then in the cloned version, change the BCs and run the Solver so that I starts from the last iteration of the previous run. However, there doesn't seem to be an option for me to select the last timestep (only allows me to start at t = 0).

I'm pretty sure that this is possible to do (I thought I did this before) but can't seem to recall how to do this. Can someone assist me on what the process is for running a 2nd simulation with results from the 1st simulation as the ICs? Thanks,

paul

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
srhusain
in reply to: paul.bunuan

You should simply be able to continue in the cloned scenario (ensure you are continuing from the last iteration done in the original scenario)

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 10
paul.bunuan
in reply to: srhusain

Just to confirm, is there any configuration setting that I should be aware of? I tried to solve the next scenario and start from the last saved session in the cloned scenario and it did not provide me an option to select the last step (i.e., the only option avaiable was time step 0).

Message 4 of 10
srhusain

I had no problems doing what you are attempting- see image below of a cloned scenario running from where the parent left off.

Capture.PNG

Message 5 of 10
paul.bunuan

Were you also able to change the BCs in the cloned scenario and run the simulation from the last time step? It's not obvious from the image. sorry for the details...

Message 6 of 10
srhusain

Yes- attached is an example support file (change the extension to cfz before opening) where i changed the inlet BC from mass flow rate to normal velocity in the cloned scenario and continue the run from the 100th time step

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 10
srhusain

Yes- attached is an example support file (change the extension to cfz before opening) where i changed the inlet BC from mass flow rate to normal velocity in the cloned scenario and continue the run from the 100th time step

Capture.PNG

Message 8 of 10
paul.bunuan

I initially got the following message in the status file (see attached image) that basically said that it was unable to transfer / read in the results. But later in the day I was able to start the subsequent run with new BCs from the last time step. The only thing I did in this case was reduce the mesh size to less than 700K nodes (originally i was at a little over 1M). I don't think that should make a difference though. Any thoughts?

Message 9 of 10
marco.mueller

maybe try it with a simpler design study/design/scenario name. Probably the standard ones are the best, it may be that the point (.) is an issue here.

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Message 10 of 10
paul.bunuan
in reply to: marco.mueller

I think that actually worked! I'm running a continuation of a previous sim with the scenario named changed (no periods in the name) and it was able to port over the previous results as well as continue from the last time step! Thanks marco!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report