Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create sky in CFD?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
h.sanaieian
572 Views, 11 Replies

How to create sky in CFD?

Dear all,

I am working on ventilation patio I read "the leveraging BIM for CFD modeling "and done exactly like what it said. Create a dome in revite as sky and set temperature on it but have a radiation errors about symmetric pattern.I searched this problem in autodest website but I could not understand what it said.Is it because of dome or the way that I create it? After finish simulation also I had problem with sky because it have not allowed to air go through the building.Would you please help me about this problem?

Best Regards,
HANI
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: h.sanaieian

Hi,

This might be because you are using a symmetry boundary condition possibly?

Is your building sealed or are the external air volumes and the internal one single connected volume?

It might be worth you sharing your CFZ (supprt file) at this stage if you are able.

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 3 of 12
h.sanaieian
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Hi jon,

I really want to send my CFZ file but it is more than 1.5 MB so I can not attach it here.Is there any way for me to send this file(2.5 MB). I have used temperate boundry condition on sky, maybe because of that the software considered it as symmetry boundry condition so how can I set temperature on sky volume?

I have some urban blocks in the middle of dome as the sky and the cubic volume as external air want to find out air movement, temperature and radiation around the urban blocks.

I really thanks you about help.

Best Regards,

Hani

Message 4 of 12
Jon.Wilde

I will send you a pm

Message 5 of 12
Jon.Wilde

OK Hani, I have the model, thanks for sharing it.

I can tell you that the multiple symmetries are part of what is causing the error but there are many issues with Boudary Conditions - please could you mark up an image of the model, explaining what the goal is, as I cannot interpret it from just the model alone.

One thing you should know, is that we cannot assign internal Surface Boudnary Conditions - these all need to go.

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 6 of 12
h.sanaieian

Hi Jon,

I sent a pdf file for you with wetransfer.

best Regards,

Hani

Message 7 of 12
Jon.Wilde

Hi Hani,

Thank you for the file - this is getting there.

There is no gain in having an air-dome within a large cuboid though - I suggest you delete the dome and just have a cuboid air domain.

There is no need to apply slip/symm to the walls where you have pressure and velocity - only the side walls where you wish to remove the frictional effects.

If you assigning a temperature to the floor - use the entire floor. It is also best to add a thickness to the ground and assign the temp beneath this rather than on top - as right now we are preventing the ground from heating up at all by fixing it's temperature.

I hope that helps you move forwards.

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 8 of 12
h.sanaieian

Dear jon,

Thanks lot for your help.I try and back to you.

Best regards,

hani

Message 9 of 12
h.sanaieian

Hi Jon,

should I set anything for initial boundry?Is it same as boundry condition?

Kind Regards,

Hani

Message 10 of 12
Jon.Wilde

Hi Hani,

Nope, just use Boundary Conditions. Initial Conditions are only used for transient analyses, for instance, if we are looking at something heat up over time and wish to set an intial temperature on the volume.

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 11 of 12
h.sanaieian

Dear jon,

If I want to study the the airflow inside this model, what boundary condition should I set for windows.for the windows that air flow in ,I think I should set the velocity but for the windows in patio that I know that the air goes out what should I do?How can I estimate the wind speed in each floor?I want to see air floe in basement and last floor.

Best regards,

hani

Message 12 of 12
Jon.Wilde

Are the windows open? Just leave them as they are. You cannot set and do not need internal Boundary Conditions.
I suggest you run through the example models to understand how to use cut-planes.

Kind regards,
Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report