Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP-"The Analysis has stopped because the Solver has stopped unexpectedly"

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
LaBelleMiguelle
1060 Views, 19 Replies

HELP-"The Analysis has stopped because the Solver has stopped unexpectedly"

"The Analysis has stopped because the Solver has stopped unexpectedly"

I keep getting this message. I know I am new to cfd software but I really need some help

Hi, I am beyond panicked. I'm using Simulation CFD and the solver keeps crashing everytime before I can use it. Please please help. I don't know if there is something wrong with my model. I will send whatever files you need to help. This is due today. Please help

I don't even know which way I'm supposed to apply the volume, I chose to fill the void but now I'm not sure. I'm supposed to be modelling the drag and lift force on a ducted marine current .

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: LaBelleMiguelle

Hi,

I can try to help, short timeframe!

1. You need a far longer inlet and outlet (5x dia is a general rule). Add an extruded cuboid in CAD to each side, using the inner edge of the shroud. Leave the inner section hollow and sealed, CFD will fill it automatically
  2. Are the blades meant to be rotating? Hope not, this is not likely to be a single day analysis 🙂
  3. You can suppress all solids from the mesh, at least the outer ones
  4. Ensure that the file is held on a local HDD, that will cause this error

Thanks,

Jon

P.S.  I was looking at attempt 2

Message 3 of 20
LaBelleMiguelle
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Oh thank you so much, I'll fix the inlet and outlet issues.
Yes the blades are meant to be rotating but I don't know how, I tried using the motion tab but when I went to preview, nothing happened. I am supposed to optimise the performance of a marine current turbine by varying multiple parameters. I chose to vary the blade type and the angle of attack. I have no idea what output I should be looking for as I have never ever used cfd software before but I am definitely willing to learn.

Message 4 of 20
Jon.Wilde

No worries.

OK, this is not a study you are going to be able to run in one day. 

You need a rotating region around the fan - check out the fan/pump guide.

There it lots on Autodesk Knowledge Network also.

Thanks,

Jon

Message 5 of 20
LaBelleMiguelle

Hey, I'm still getting the same message.

I added the extrusion, I noticed the element count was reduce but I am still getting the same error. I'm truly lost

Message 6 of 20
Jon.Wilde

Well for one you have suppressed the fluid from the mesh 🙂

The size is spot on though.

There is still no rotating region (RR)  around the impeller, this is what you need to cause the rotation. This will need to be drawn in CAD, it needs to encompass the impeller and the OD should be 1/2 way between the tips and the solid surfaces of the wall. Same goes for the surfaces either end of the axis.

Once you have this, give everything a 0.5 mesh refinement, good starting point for this model.

Then ensure the outer surfaces of the RR have a uniform mesh, as they will be passing past the static elements of the water.

This will need to be run transiently, all the instructions are in the link I sent before.

Thanks,

Jon

Message 7 of 20
LaBelleMiguelle

Hi Jon,

Me again. I am getting the same error message. I created the rotating region. I made it uniform. It's not touching any solid surfaces, net even the axis infront and behind. I set the mesh refinement at 0.5 but the number of elements was well over 4 million. I assumed this was the cause of the error so I decided to leave the refinement as one for the fluid. I'm not sure what else to do. I really tried to figure it out. I double checked the bodies, I hope that I haven't confused them yet again but they, as well, seem correct. Please any extra help would be appreciated. And I went through every thing.

Message 8 of 20
Jon.Wilde

Hi Kaye,

• Your Rotating Region is a square - it needs to be a cylinder, which will rotate
  • You can suppress the rotor from the analysis
  • I would say you are going to need a smaller timestep, less than 1s to get it moving, then you can stop it and increase the value later. If his value is too large, you will likely see divergence
  • I would use ADV5, rather than 2 (Advection Scheme)
  • I am not sure if an '@' symbol in the name might cause an issue, worth mentioning just incase
Message 9 of 20
LaBelleMiguelle

Okay, I changed everything as you said and I'm still getting the same warning message. I'm really stumped on this one. 

Message 10 of 20
Jon.Wilde

Hi Kaye,

It is running fine here, although the mesh is too coarse.

Are you running from a local drive?

Mesh.png

Message 11 of 20
LaBelleMiguelle

Yes please, running from my computers harddrive.

Message 12 of 20
LaBelleMiguelle

Okay I found the problem there, it was loaded in my Google Drive folder. So I took it out and it ran. Thank you so much Jon. Thank you thank you thank youSmiley Happy

Message 13 of 20
Jon.Wilde

No problem, it is what we are here for, although perhaps not usually quite so quickly 🙂

Keep that mesh nice and refined and you should be OK here.

Best of luck with it

Jon

Message 14 of 20
LaBelleMiguelle

Okay, I'm a little bit confused about some of this data. I really want to get some data on the drag force, lift force, angular momentum and Torque on the turbine. How do I analyse this?

And can I run the simulation for multiple designs simultaneously?

Message 15 of 20
Jon.Wilde

Once it has run (and I suggest you try a further refined mesh to ensure you are fully mesh independent) you can get the RR results from Results -> Review -> Rotating Region Results.

You can run for multiple designs if you have Sim 360 or multiple licences. Clone the design and then update the new one from CAD, which will change the geometry leaving other settings the same. Then use the Solver Manager from within the interface to run a batch of them.

Message 16 of 20
LaBelleMiguelle

Okay so now this is happening. It starts to run and then it stops. I think its a result of my reducing the mesh siz but i'm not sure.

Message 17 of 20
Jon.Wilde

I would guess it is because you have suppressed the RR from the mesh.

When things like this happen, just work through all the steps to be sure everything is OK

Message 18 of 20
LaBelleMiguelle

Oh makes sense. *shame*
On another note though, do I leave it at 10 inner iterations and 10 steps to run? And is the 0.1s a good step?

Message 19 of 20
Jon.Wilde

Try it and see.

Use 3 inner iterations (10 is likely too many) and run for 1000's of timesteps. Start with 2000 and see what the convergence looks like.

Message 20 of 20
LaBelleMiguelle

Okay thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report