Discussion Groups

Simulation CFD

orchidhoanglan
Accepted Solution

Helical Screw Pump

380 Views, 10 Replies
01-14-2013 02:31 PM

I've been trying to produce a simulation of a non-horizontal helical screw pump, I am under the impression that, even with the HOF function, CFD will not be able to produce an acurate model since it can't model fluid surfaces but I would still like to see it through. 
Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to solve. Initially there were some meshing errors related to the thickness of the blades in relation ot the overall scale of the model which I believe I've addressed but I still can't get this to work. 

To simplyify it, I modelled it as screw in a straight tube with feeds in-line with the axis of rotation (in practice it would be fed from the side) It is a 4 bladed screw 1m long and 300mm across with a pitch designed for 45 deg. All this wrapped in a tube. 

I've would attach the .cfz but it's apparently too large if anyone can help it would be much apprecated.

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Product Support
wildej

Re: Helical Screw Pump

01-15-2013 01:36 AM in reply to: orchidhoanglan

Happy to open a Dropbox folder to look into this if you are happy to do so. I will send over a link.

I see that you are not on support with us but I will take a look and see if I can provide a few pointers.

Jon Wilde
Please use plain text.
DOCKER

06-25-2013 08:02 AM in reply to: wildej

Any suggestion regarding run CFD for a spur gear pump. I have created 3D models fro fluid volume (including solid gear space) and gears? I need instruction about run setup

Please use plain text.
Product Support
wildej

06-25-2013 08:12 AM in reply to: DOCKER

I suggest you apply motion to each part (not a rotating region since they cannot overlap)

Boundary Conditions at inlet and outlet.

Fine, uniform mesh on moving parts and the fluid they move within.

Small timestep - obviously a transient run

Have you looked in our Wiki at all? I think there is a pump setup there which may help, minus the rotating region

Jon Wilde
Please use plain text.
DOCKER

07-12-2013 06:41 AM in reply to: orchidhoanglan

I am still have problem to run the gear pump CFD per your instruction. I tried to create a web support case. However, I am still waiting for subscription contract number from IT. By any chance you can find the number for me so I can create the support case and load the support file?

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Please use plain text.
Product Support
wildej

07-12-2013 06:47 AM in reply to: DOCKER

Hi Jeffrey,

What issues are you running in to now?

I can take a look to find a number sure. What is your product serial number? You should be able to find this under 'About'.

Kind regards,

Jon

Jon Wilde
Please use plain text.
DOCKER

07-12-2013 07:02 AM in reply to: wildej

Could you send me a private email address so I can you the SN?

Please use plain text.
DOCKER

07-12-2013 07:04 AM in reply to: wildej

It says

the analysis has been stopped because the Solver has exited unexpectedly.

Please use plain text.
Product Support
wildej

07-12-2013 07:08 AM in reply to: DOCKER

Hi Docker,

Please could you PM me?

If you look in the summay file it might give you some suggestions. I would try running this without free surface initially, start simple and then work up!

Kind regards,

Jon

Jon Wilde
Please use plain text.
DOCKER

07-12-2013 07:23 AM in reply to: orchidhoanglan

Jon,

I haven't talk to you for at least two years! Good to see you here. I don't know how to do teh PM on this forum. Could you send me your work email to jxdong@triumphgroup.com?

TThanks,

Jeffrey

Please use plain text.