Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heat Flux Profile

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dpounds9999
580 Views, 4 Replies

Heat Flux Profile

Hello All,

I am working on project for a concentrated solar power application.  I am looking for a method of specifying a heat flux distribution, or profile, across a single surface.  Meaning, the magnitude of the heat flux varies (non-linearly) with position at the heat input surface.  Is this possible to do with Autodesk Simulation CFD?

Thanks,
DP

Dan Pounds
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

No method of specifying a flux gradient

The only method would be to manually split the surface in to smaller surfaces and then to assign respective Fluxes to each subset to create the gradient

Message 3 of 5

This is what I feared.  For a Gaussian distribution like function, the slope can be very steep near the peak and therefore can be quite painful to discretize.  I have a put in a suggestion to the idea forum to include a way to define a vertex and a function that would define the heat flux as a function of position, possibly with definite bounds.

Dan Pounds
Message 4 of 5
nhahn
in reply to: dpounds9999

An interesting application.  Off the cuff suggestion - If your problem is not transient, perhaps modeling a thin layer of highly conductive material between your parts and where you apply the heat flux will smooth out the distribution - this will allow you to use fewer regions and still achive a more continuous near-gaussian profile, instead of a stepwise one.

Message 5 of 5
dpounds9999
in reply to: dpounds9999

While the approach of breaking up the surface into discrete regions is a valid approach, it can be a painful approach depending on the situation.  Please note that I have accepted this as a solution but I have also put in a request in the idea forum to incorporate an option to define a spatial function.  Thanks.

Dan Pounds

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report