Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has SimFlex matured enough to replace SimCFD?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
nmuoio
332 Views, 3 Replies

Has SimFlex matured enough to replace SimCFD?

We are getting ready to renew our licenses and are thinking about letting our SimCFD maintenance expire and switching to the SimFlex cloud version.

Are there any disadvantages to doing this?  Or has SimFlex matured to the point where it can replace SimCFD?

We had the limited usage Sim360 and liked the ability to run multiple solutions in parallel.  And I understand that SimFlex also has the option of solving on the local computer.  We've been told by our VAR, though, that the SimFlex license is tied to the host id of the computer on which it was installed, and cannot be shared among multiple computers.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Royce_adsk
in reply to: nmuoio

Hi Nathan, 

It has matured a fair amount from the initial 2013 release and is still growing. I'll let users add their opinions since I am jaded 🙂

When it comes to the license model of Simulation Flex, mostly what you wrote is correct except the computer is not important.  What is important is who is defined as the named user, they can use the software on any machine they like, but it shouldn't be shared amongts others in the company. If you have 2 people using the software a lot then you should have 2 seats of Simulation Flex.

Make sense?

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 4
nmuoio

With your jadedness I may reconsider making the switch.

Our attraction to SimFlex is based solely on its ability to run multiple solutions at the same time, instead of sequentially.  But we only need this a couple times a year.  The limited usage Sim360, now discontinued,  was an affordable way to occasionally increase our capacity.

We may decide to stick with SimCFD for the next year.  It's a lot less expense to switch to SimFlex than it is to switch back to SimCFD, as we would have to purchase a new license of SimCFD if SimFlex doesn't work out.

Message 4 of 4
Royce_adsk

Using the word Jaded was incorrect, I love the product and solve most of my simulation on the cloud at this point.  The correct wording I should have used there would be more like, biased opinion since I work at Autodesk.

Cheers!

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report