Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geometry

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
900103ID
302 Views, 4 Replies

Geometry

Hello,

I'm beginner in using CFD in general. I have few questions. I'm using Inventor 2015 to create geometries for simulations. And the first question is: Lets say that I have some random tube (dimensions are not important) and I import this geometry to CFD program. Is it possible to somehow "fill" the inside of the tube by air or do I have to create geometry of the air volume? I know that CFD works with air volume, but this would realy make my job easier becouse of complex geometries which I'm working with.  I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself correctly. I hope I do. 

Second question: I have geometry of underslot channel(cross section 25x30mm, 1455 mm long) from rotor of turbo generator (one inlet (axial) and several radial outlets) My task is to figure out pressure drop in this channel. Will it work, if I set boundary condition of outlets to 0 Pa and boundary condition for inlet to for examlpe 20 m/s. I'm not considering the rotation for now.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: 900103ID

Hi, I am sure  we can help here:

1. If you bring through a sealed but hollow part into CFD, it will automatically be filled with a part (to which you can assign any solid/fluid etc). I would usually add a solid cylinder (or similar) to the inlets and outlets in CAD, these will be assigned air in CFD and allow for the flow to develop at the inlet and for any recirculation to complete before reaching the outlet
  2. In principal, that is correct yes

Thanks,

Jon

Message 3 of 5
900103ID

Thank you for a quick answer. The thing is, that I tried to import the geometry, but it doesn't fill itself automaticly. I've tried to set inner volume as AIR but, ther was no volume. Is it possible, that I have to set something in settings?

Message 4 of 5
Jon.Wilde

It is all automated, are you certain that the volume is 100% sealed?

Feel free to share a CAD file.

Message 5 of 5
900103ID
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Well, as you replied, I went to check the geometry and I indeed found smal gap. It is working well, now. Thank you again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report