Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flow over immersed body

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mahmadi
346 Views, 3 Replies

Flow over immersed body

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pick your brains on a problem I have been dealing with lately: I have an internal low reynolds flow that faces a cylindrical resistance and becomes turbulent downstream. Image attached shows the described problem.

Which flow regime would you chose to simulate the flow in SIM 360? 

Thanks,

Jay

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
OmkarJ
in reply to: mahmadi

Probably the low Re model (with fine mesh near walls) would be best for this? You don't want a turbulence model for a laminar flow as it would introduce unnecessary diffusion. And laminar flow won't be able to capture turbulent scales.  Although, this seems to be a case of transition model which SimCFD doesn't have, to my knowledge. 

Message 3 of 4
mahmadi
in reply to: OmkarJ

Thanks Okmar,

That was my thought too. I just don't fully understand the Turb/Lam ratio and the basics of this turbulent regime solution in SIM360; is it somewhat like the two-layered zonal model available in Fluent that can recognize where the laminar flow becomes turbulent?

Message 4 of 4
OmkarJ
in reply to: mahmadi

From what I know, FLUENT has k-kl-w and SST transition  model, with former solving for turbulent k, laminar kinetic energy kl and w; and the latter solves k and w coupled with intermittancy. In essence, the transition from laminar to turbulence is addressed. SimCFD only has 2 eqn models, from which the low Re model is meant for low Re flows. However, it is generally believed that the name "low Re" mostly refers to its advantage in intergrating upto wall (region of low Re) over  normal k-eps model which has to use wall functions, and not its ability to predict the intermittancy of  transition.  It is based on k-eps framework with use of damping functions in definitions of of eps and eddy viscosity to avoid any extreme results near wall when the boundary layer is resolved unlike normal k-eps models. This seems the best bet for your application. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report