Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export results to Paraview VTK format

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
pei-ying.hsieh
2554 Views, 5 Replies

export results to Paraview VTK format

Dear Autodesk Sim CFDers,

Can the CFD results be exported to Paraview VTK format?  There is some features in paraview that I need for a project.

Thanks!

Pei-Ying

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Pei-Ying,

You can export tecplot results and paraview can read that in. I'm very interested in what features you need in paraview. Could you explain them as this helps us understand what our users are needing from the software.

[cid:image001.png@01CFCD9D.CC645240]

Heath Houghton
Product Manager - Autodesk Simulation CFD
Heath Houghton
Principal Business Consultant
Message 3 of 6

Hi, Heath,

Quite often, I need to display the velocity vectors in 3D domain (not on a plane).  I tried to do this in Autodesk Sim CFD, but, never find out how to do it.

I will try the Tecplot approach to see if I can get the results into Paraview.

Thanks!

Pei-Ying

Message 4 of 6
OmkarJ
in reply to: heath.houghton

Another area I see where paraview is relevant is in creating custom variables. Often I when I have to visualise or calculate bulk values certain non-standard variables (like flow inclination angle, dynamic pressure etc), I use Paraview. Care must be taken here though, since Paraview is dimensionless viewer and hence appropriate conversion factors should be applied to default units in which Tecplot file was exported, to preserve the fidelity of the physics.

Message 5 of 6
heath.houghton
in reply to: OmkarJ

Pei-yeng,

You might try using iso-surfaces and plotting the vectors on them. I'm not sure if this is what you want, but if vectors in a 3D domain are required, that is one way to do them. The other way to visualize the flow vectors in 3D is the global vector, but that only shows up on surfaces of the fluid with non-zero velocity... so typically inlets, outlets, and symmetry planes.

Omkar,

Do you like the custom results interface in paraview? Is that engineering calculator format enough for your needs and easy enough to understand?

Regards,

Heath Houghton
Product Manager - Autodesk Simulation CFD
Heath Houghton
Principal Business Consultant
Message 6 of 6
OmkarJ
in reply to: heath.houghton

Heath,

In the past I have mostly used ANSYS products (FLUENT/CFX) and I like the in-built CFD-post visualization package provided with these products, which allows custom variables and expressions. But coming from there, I find Paraview a bit clumsy and the fact that it is unit-less makes things a bit tricky, unlike what I experienced with CFD post where expressions can be created using in-built or user-defined variables, without worrying about the units. But then, Paraview is a free package and it caters to my needs when I need to deal with non-standard variables, so I don't mind if it's a bit unergonomic  Smiley Happy

Any capability to create custom variables and expressions, not only during post processing/visualisation but also during pre-processing, thereby allowing more versatility in creating monitors for desired quantities, is a big plus for me. 

Regards 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report