Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Solidworks plug-in really work?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
JohnTomasik6493
608 Views, 3 Replies

Does the Solidworks plug-in really work?

Presently, I don't have the Sim CFD plug-in activated on Solidworks.  So, I export an x_t parasolid out of Solidworks, import that into Sim CFD, and go from there.  Trouble is, any geometry changes I do aren't "connected" to Sim CFD, so I have to basically set up the entire model every time I change something.  In smaller studies, that's no big deal, but in bigger studies, it's not efficient.  I have to input all material and boundary conditions each time.

So, does the plug-in from Solidworks to Sim CFD allow automatic updating of the Sim CFD model, so I don't have to completely rebuild it?  The reason I ask is that the mechanical plug-in doesn't import from Solidworks into the Autodesk simulation package well (usually I have to import as an IGES), and I'm wondering if the Sim CFD is any better?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
RAALVM
in reply to: JohnTomasik6493

I work with SolidWorks plug-in and as far as importing updated geometry it works, but most of the time you'll have to reassign the boundary conditions to the right surfaces of lines. yes and an other annoyng thing is that each time you'll open a part form an assambly you'll get a new tab for Autodesk Simulation.

Message 3 of 4
robt383
in reply to: JohnTomasik6493

For what it's worth, you can make your changes in SolidWorks, export a new parasolid, then use the "Add/Update Design" button in the Setup tab of Simulation CFD to update a clone of your original design.  It's a very reliable method for maintaining your setup.  I use it quite often.

Message 4 of 4
JohnTomasik6493
in reply to: robt383

That comment is worth a LOT!  Thank you.  It works very well, and will reduce my workload substantially.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report