Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detachment at leading edge of flat plate

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
rjohanss
367 Views, 2 Replies

Detachment at leading edge of flat plate

I am trying to model a flat plate in a wind tunnel at zeo angle of attack and am encountering a problem near the leading edge. It appears that I am getting a fairly large detachment region at the leading edge and I'm not sure why. The simulation I am running has the incoming flow at 45knots, using the k-omega SST turbulence model and ADV5. I've attached an image of the leading edge of the plate and of the front of the plate (thickness 1.8"). The radius of curvature on the leading edge is 0.1" and I used a refinement region with a uniform element size of 0.0256. Is this a mesh problem? A Geometry problem? A fluid model problem? Any input is appreciated.

Thank you,

Reed

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
srhusain
in reply to: rjohanss

Having the flow at the bottom of the plate might be causing this separation. If you are trying to do a benchmark for the turbulent Blasius problem, can you try the following:

1. Place the plate at the bottom of the computational domain (remove the solid representing the plate). This will prevent any flow below and obviate the rounded leading edge.
  2. Refine the mesh and ensure that the solution Y+ is less than 1.0

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 3
rjohanss
in reply to: srhusain

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't think I can move the plate to the bottom of the domain as I eventually will be looking at heat transfer from the whole model. As far as Y+, I am fairly new to Simulation CFD, how can I check the Y+ for the model?

Thanks,

Reed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report