Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design only stream or with pipe

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mfqdias
465 Views, 7 Replies

Design only stream or with pipe

Hi,

I need confirmation for the following.

For example if i wat to design a simple pipe with a water stream, should i draw only the water stream (considering the inner diameter of the pipe) or the pipe and the water as a solid cylinder with the same length of the pipe?

1. If i draw both, does it calculates the pressure drop in function of the pipe material?

2. If i draw only the water stream, i must define the boundary conditions, correct? Is it possible to define friction factor, dor example?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: mfqdias

Hi,

It does not matter if you draw the external pipe - you only need it if you wish to look at heat transfer through it.

You can apply a wall roughness to the fluid if you do not model the solid (this is in the material setting)

Either way you will need Boundary Conditions (flow rate at the inlet and a pressure at the outlet for examle).

Message 3 of 8
mfqdias

Hi,

Thank you for the reply!

When you say boundary conditions you didn't refer the perimeter of the cylinder that represents the water stream, but shouldn't this be mentioned?

Ok, so even if i draw the pipe outside the water stream and define the material, should i define the boundary condition of the outer perimeter of the cylinder that represents the stream?

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
ilyas_drawbridge

If I understand correctly, what you define as 'perimeter of the cylinder' is the 'curved surface of the cylinder', no?

If that is the case, then the answer is no, you have to specify the flow boundary conditions (eg: flow rate, pressure, etc) at the inlet and outlet of your stream (the flat surfaces of your cylinder) regardless of whether you have your pipe modelled or not. The software then treats fluid surfaces which do not have any flow boundary conditions as walls (0 velocity). Therefore, you do not have to apply any flow boundary conditions on the curved surface of your cylinder, with or without your pipe modelled... assuming this is a regular pipe.

Regards

Ilyas

Message 5 of 8

Thanks Ilyas

Message 6 of 8
mfqdias

Ok,

I understand that. The wall velocity may be consider as 0, but if we look at the pressure at outlet, shouldn't it varies in function of the pipe roughness?

Who this enters into account? Or am i sseng this from the wrong point of view?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
Jon.Wilde

Hi,

Not the wrong point of view but perhaps not quite within the correct expectations. Please try what we are suggesting and you will find that you are very close to reality I am sure.

It might be worth extending the outlet also (5x diameter is standard).

Message 8 of 8
mfqdias
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Ok i understand.

Thank you all for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report