Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut the geometry in half in results

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
OmkarJ
721 Views, 4 Replies

Cut the geometry in half in results

I have a 3D model which I want to cut in half for beter visualization. Is it possible in SimCFD? I have attached a snap illustrating this point. 

Half-cut.png

guess we can do it using Z-clip, but it keeps cutting the model as I rotate, depending upon the orientation. Is it possible at all in SimCFD?

Thanks

Omkar

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
apolo_vanderberg
in reply to: OmkarJ

If you right click on a plane you can select "Clip" to clip the geometry, then as you view the model as shaded it will appear as a section view.
Message 3 of 5
OmkarJ
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

Thanks Apollo. But there is some anomaly here.  When I  try to cut the geometry exactly in the middle plane, it cuts at an offset of that plane. Have look at the attached pic.

clip.png

From what I understand, the clip feature "hollows out" the geometry and thus only the outter most surfaces of walls and BCs remain. Then it cuts these surfaces off at the clipping plane and thus you get a sealed surface of walls, BCs and clipping plane, giving an illusion of cut geometry. But as you can see, the walls and BCs are not cut exactly at the clipping plane and extend beyond it. This doesn't look like what I want. The workaround I am using is to adjust the position of clipping plane so that the "actual cut" is at the middle plane, but this still leaves very small projections of these walls uncut and clabbers the view. 

Am I missing something here, if I assumed it should cut exactly at the clipping plane?

Thanks

Omkar.

Message 4 of 5
Royce_adsk
in reply to: OmkarJ

OJ,

The clipping plane does tend to have a small amount of error where the associated surfaces extend beyond the clipping plane location.  I would suggest that you add that to the idea station to improve the clipping plane precision.

You are doing what Apolo suggested correctly.  The z-clipping method would be another option, but is a bit slower and will not be as smooth looking.

Thanks!

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 5 of 5
OmkarJ
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Sure, have raised the request in idea station. 

Thanks
Omkar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report