Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU / core issue

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Bob1991
1981 Views, 7 Replies

CPU / core issue

Hi,

I am running a simulation that will take about 2 days. I started the task manager to get a quick overview of how much of my RAM and CPU is used and it says it only uses about 50% of my CPU. I have a A10-5800K quad core and it seems that all cores are being used. Then I read a few articles about Hyper-threading and that SimCFD would only use physical processors. So I thought I'd check my physical and logical cores with "wmic cpu getNumberOfCores, NumberOfLogicalProcessors" and it says that I only have 2 physical but 4 logical cores. So 2 questions:

1. Why does it say that I only have 2 physical cores? I was pretty sure that I had 4 cores...

2. Can I adjust Autodesk Simulation CFD so that it uses 100% of my CPU and not just 50%?

I attached a picture of my task manager and of my cmd.exe.

thanks,

-Robert

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Bob1991

Hi Robert,

I think I can answer pretty simply:

1. It is pretty likely to be right - you can always check here too Control Panel\System and Security\System
  2. I would say no, it is already using 100% of 2 cores - check out this article - Simulation CFD is not running as 100% CPU usage

Have you thought about Simulation FLEX at all? Running on the cloud might be faster?

Hope that helps.

Jon

Message 3 of 8
Bob1991

Hi Jon,

thanks for the quick response. I called AMD technical support this morning and they said that my CPU definitely has 4 physical cores and that this problem has occured with Windows 8 and 8.1 but never with Win7 (which I use). They are working on it.

So am I right that as soon as AMD fixed this then Autodesk will use 100% of all 4 cores automatically?

Thanks and kind regards,

Robert

Message 4 of 8
Jon.Wilde

Hi Robert,

It should do although I suspect you might need to run SimCFDconfig.exe (right click and run as admin) from the CFD installation folder just incase.

Thanks,

Jon

Message 5 of 8
Bob1991

Hi,

so AMD doesn't really offer a solution for this so they told me to reinstall windows. After I reinstalled it the system information actually showed 4 cores / 4 logical processors, but after I installed all the windows updates it said 2 cores / 4 logical processes again. I started CFD and opened the task manager and here we go: 100% on all 4 cores! So problem solved.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Robert

Message 6 of 8
calvin.chin

Hi Bob,

Please use CPU ID (ftp://ftp.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.71-en.zip) to identify your processor. Windows 7 & 8 could not identify those cores & thread that your CPU have correctly. It willl show you exactly 4 cores and 4 threads.

Message 7 of 8
ramrecon

Hi,

I had the same problem with my I7-3770 but then I disabled the hyperthreading in the bios settings and the solvers started using all of my cores.

Maybe that's an option for you? Worked for me at least 🙂 Anyways,

Good luck with what you are doing 🙂

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
calvin.chin

Hi Bob1991,

Try this core unpark utilities from Bitsum to max out the performance of your system. It is a actually a great tweaking utilities for gamers to reduce stuttering in games due to the aggresive frequency scaling scheme by Windows itself, but we can also apply this in CAD workstation. You may also gain a little increase of performance for your daily use when performing 3D modelling etc., helping you to reduce CPU ramp up time to calculate (as stated by Bitsum) please go through the description from the below Bitsum webpage, your laptop or workstation might be consuming more power than it is previously.

However, wherether or not you will get CFD to run 100% for all your cores is depending on CFD itself.

Links: https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

Download links: https://bitsum.com/files/parkcontroldist32.exe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report