Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFD User Interface very slow

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
aoliver-
1462 Views, 9 Replies

CFD User Interface very slow

Hi,

I have just started using CFL 2013 and found it to be very slow with my model.  My machine specs aren't phenomenal, but are certainly capable (dual core, 3GHz, 8GB RAM, W7 x64, ATI HD2400), and have no problems in inventor (with the same model).  RAM usage goes to about 4.5GB when it's loaded (unmeshed), so there shoudl be plenty of juice on hand...

Simple things like panning the camera are very slow to respond, and creating surfaces to cap the inner volume takes about 2 minutes for each circular surface.  

Are there any settings that might improve speed?  I have had a look in the options but there's nothing relating to rendering etc, perhaps this is a registry setting?  At the moment it's very unproductive.

Cheers,

Aaron

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: aoliver-

You could first try checking that your graphics driver is up to date. Secondly, try these flags:

glsl 0

use_dropshadow 1

software_rendering 0

Message 3 of 10
Cnoj
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

How do you set the flags?
Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 4 of 10
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Cnoj

Hi,

Check out the help but the basics are, go to Setup -> Design Study Tools -> Flags and then simply search for them in the Default Flag Settings and Apply

Message 5 of 10
Cnoj

OK all those flags were already set.

I seem to have a similar problem to the OP. This is a 64 bit 16-core Xeon workstation with 40GB Ram and Quadro 6000 GPU.

Display is sluggish, sometimes around 1fps in transparent mode while in 'setup tasks'. Once I solve, the performance becomes unuseable, with a 5 or 10 second delay on every mouse click. If i reboot then open a design study that's been solved and go to results in the design study bar I get the same 10 second delays on everything. Switching back to Setup tasks (eg. hitting Materials in design study bar) brings me back up to 1fps.

I've noticed XP Task Manager shows page file useage to pretty much match memory useage of SimCFD.exe. Is that normal? This machine has only 20gig free on its main HD and system managed page file is currently at 45gig.

Should I be looking to the HD/page file for a solution or does this sound like a graphics/display issue? (new quadro drivers installed btw).

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jon C.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 6 of 10
Jon.Wilde

Hi guys,

Have you tried going to the website of your graphics card manufacturer and downloading the latest drivers? FYI, checking from the interface does not always find that there is a newer version, has to be done directly through their sites(s).

Message 7 of 10
Cnoj

I updated Quadro 6000 drivers to V311.15, released 2/11/13.

No Change in performance.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 8 of 10
Royce_adsk

The eventual solution for this user was to change the nVidia driver profile from 'Base Profile' to '3D App - Visual Simulation'.

None of the described flags were needed.

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 9 of 10
jzcrouse
in reply to: Royce_adsk

I am running in to similar issues with CFD 2018. I have 32 GB ram and a i7 2.8GHz processor. I've ran many simulations previously and this just started happening in the last week. I was having some inventor issues and my admin cleared the registry for that which may have screwed things up with CFD? but im not sure if its related. The graphics card settings and driver are good. and i tried the flags thing to no avail. 

Message 10 of 10
edmundlim.0429
in reply to: aoliver-

hi im using CFD 2019 and i'm trying to import my autodesk inventor pro file into my CFD 2019 by creating a new project and the problem is it is taking very long to read the file, i've been waiting almost 2 hours for it to read my file and it still has not complete it yet. 

From,

Edmund

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report