Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFD Simulation software generated part names are a pain.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
JohnTomasik6493
301 Views, 3 Replies

CFD Simulation software generated part names are a pain.

It would be nice if the part names given in my Solidworks CAD files would be maintained by the flow software.  When I do thermal studies of electronic board assemblies populated with many parts, "Part 34" (an example of a name automatically defined by the CFD software) forces me to manually query through my previously generated information in order to figure out what component I'm looking at.  Also, I don't see a way of re-naming the items in the decision center, so I have to manually re-name the items in the .csv generated file.  Very inefficient, and this lends to errors.  Is there a way to fix this?

I was going to put this on the idea station, but I thought I'd post it here just in case there's a simple work-around that I'm unaware of.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi John,

Something like this should be put into the idea station for an enhancement request.  See if you can find one similar before you post.  That has come up in the past, but I can't remember if has been posted yet.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Simulation-CFD-IdeaStation/idb-p/82

Cheers,

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 4
nhahn
in reply to: Royce_adsk

I posted something related today, and there is at least one other.  But sounds like this should be posted separately.

But mine was on renaming, since it does maintain names from Inventor, but sometimes I don't want those names.

Message 4 of 4
valR7UZK
in reply to: Royce_adsk

This problem is very annoying and apparently there is no solution.

I am importing from Fusion 360, Look at this example: A part called "duct" was appended to 3 more names that were part of the geometry but totally unrelated to duct in the CFD browser.

Add to this that I have many parts and browsing becomes a chore. My solution: Use Fusion Combine to gang parts together to make the browser list shorter. Don't do it. In each case I tried the results were bogus. I know that because I ran the same geometry in Solidworks Sim Flow and I can compare results. Sim Flow may not be super accurate but I never got a Y force of -22,000 lbf.  on an airfoil at 100 mph like I got recently in Autodesk. With parts kept separate I get credible numbers. The only explanation I can come up with is that the mesher may generate multiple overlapping layers with  the forces being summed up. Or something else. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report