Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFD motion+free surface

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
arizawilmer
584 Views, 9 Replies

CFD motion+free surface

I am trying to setup a model of a floating roof. I usually do a structural static model with a hydrostic pressure. However ,this time i was asked for a CFD simulation.

The model of the floating roog is:

9622jmy01.jpg

I was thinking in a model with a fluid divided in two ,one with a specific heigh of fluid and the second one a empty space. The fluid is going to move from down to up.

I am having trouble with the movement of the solid .I setup a free surface motion but the roof do not sink on the fluid.

The other question that i have is :is it possible to export the pressure data of the moving

solid to autodesk mechanical simulation?

Wilmer Ariza
Researcher Control and SI with AI for autonomous underwater vehicles
PhD student(Australian Maritime College-University of Tasmania)
Master of engineering (Advance Manufacturing Technology- Swinburne University of Technology)
Mechatronic Engineer
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: arizawilmer

You would need to model the air above (although it will be assigned water just with no height of fluid assigned). There is a guide here, which will hopefully prove useful.

I am not sure on exporting the pressure data of a moving part and will leave that to someone else.

Message 3 of 10
n.reshadi
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

hi,
i wanna simulate a hydrofoil into water, and i wanted to know which one of the autodesk simulation softwares are mor suitable to do that?
also i wanna assemble all the part of my simulated device in one software, and my device has some parts into water and some outside,
it includes some flexible composite parts, too
i need some help for choosing the suitable software,
would you mind? please Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 10
arizawilmer
in reply to: n.reshadi

hi reshadi

Really depends of the type of simaltion that you want to do. If you consider that the surface behaviour is important for you i will suggest CFD motion . but if you are only interesting in pressures i will sugest simulation CFD and CFD advanced.

I saw years ago a simulation of hydrofoil and they simulate the movement of the fluid trought a static part. It is easy on that way. if you use motion you  are going to have to setup the waves,motion of the object and other thinks.

Please open a specific topic over the subject.

Wilmer Ariza
Master of engineering (Advance Manufacturing Technology- Swinburne University of Technology)
Mechatronic Engineer
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Hi txfingenieria!!! I have solved almost same kind of problem recently. Instead of roof, i tried to float a lighter hemispherical object and sink a heavier hemispherical object. You can easily solve this by free surface simulation. Movement problem of the solid part mainly causes for meshing. Have you checked the "Active DOF" option in the free motion pop-up window? And choose a dense material for roof than water. Hope you will see your roof sinking into the water. Its fun! 🙂 Thank You!
Message 6 of 10
arizawilmer
in reply to: Anonymous

HI

Did you tranfer the pressure profiles of the motion solid to autodesk Mecahnical?

Wilmer Ariza
Mechatronic Engineer
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

hlw!

No i didn't and really don't know much about this profile transfer. I just simply set up a floating body in water.

Thank You!

Message 8 of 10
n.reshadi

hi again!

why can' i just find the CFD motion software and its features on outodesk site Smiley Surprised

Nastaran

Message 9 of 10
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: n.reshadi

Here's a link from a quick Google and here's a page feom our Wiki,

Message 10 of 10
arizawilmer
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Hello

I checked the mathematic and format of the output files. And i believe that the output matrix is a matrix of the nodes with their respective pressure of wall. That will mean that for Autodesk Mechancial simulation the object is the same than other pressure exported from CFD

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thank you

Wilmer Ariza
Mechatronic Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report