Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFD Crashing Repeatedly

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
phclark
621 Views, 4 Replies

CFD Crashing Repeatedly

Hello,

I am currently running Simulation CFD 2014 build 20130301, and having trouble with repeated software crashes.  These crashes are typically in response to user interface action, such as clicking right clicking a tree branch in the design study bar.  Most recently I am having consistent crashes when attempting to save a study after changing properties in a local material (changed a heat exchanger flow method from constant to fan curve).  This crash has made this study essentially unusable, so I started from scratch.  The new study continues to crash when I attempt to save after setting the heat exchanger material to the version saved in My Materials, which has a fan curve. Any ideas or suggested work arounds would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tong6
in reply to: phclark

hi,

I saw there are crash reports on our server with user email address PHCLARK@********.COM. I assume this is yours? Based on the crash information there,I can see the heat exchanger fancurve type has an unit convertion issue. Seems there is a bug writing fancurve variant data to My materials. Any way you avoid using local material or my materials?

Message 3 of 5
phclark
in reply to: tong6

Hello,

Thanks for your response.  Those are my crash logs, yes.  That bug description is consistent with what I'm seeing.  I've tried using a standard internal fans, which in theory provide the physical behavior I need for this simulation, however the results summary doesn't include inlet and outlet conditions on the fans (like heat exchangers), which is a necessary result.  I've had some success with a constant flow, howver this is not phyically realistic (results in severe fan inlet/outlet mass imbalance). Is there a workaround?  

P.S. I can't use wall calculator to find internal fan inlet/out results, because I need to evalauate inlet and outlet moist air enthalpy, which is only available as a summary field.

Thanks for your help,

Phil

Message 4 of 5
phclark

I was able to get the fan curve based heat exchangers to work and save without crashing by inputting the curve in default units.  It looks like your idea of a bug in the unit conversion was correct.

Thanks for your help

Message 5 of 5
pmenzies10

Thank you for your post.  When coupled with your submitted Crash Error Reports, the development team will be able to make a difference in the future.  Thank you for these details, it really makes a difference.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report