Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't import Inventor part to CFD

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
juanita.solano94
1281 Views, 2 Replies

Can't import Inventor part to CFD

Hi,

I have been trying to open an Inventor file in CFD but it does not seem to work. I have Autodesk Inventor Professional 2014 and Autodesk Simulation CFD 2014. When I go to CFD I click New. Then in the New Design Study dialog box I go to Browse and click on the Inventor file I want to import (Format .ipt <- Is that the problem?). Then, when I click on 'Create new design study' I get the following error:

"Failed to call pServerIntf -> Translate ( translatorType, fromFile, toFolder);"

Followed by:

" Conversion from imported geometry to analysis model failed. Inspect the CAD geometry for problematic features".

I would really appreciate some help!

Thank you,

Juanita.

NOTE: INVENTOR FILE ATTACHED

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Agent87
in reply to: juanita.solano94

Hi Juanita,

I am having the exact same problem and haven't been able to figure it out even after simplifying my structure to a hole through a block. I was wondering if you had any progress or if Autodesk responded.

Kyle

Message 3 of 3
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Agent87

Hi,

Are you both working from local directories?

Working from Inventor and exporting to CFD 2015 works fine for me. 2014 does not although we might be able to work around it with the asmcointol flag although I have not been able to so far. 

In the model shared here, avoid curves meeting curves to create near zero angles like you have - this will not mesh well if you plan to flow fluid around it. 

For example:

examples.jpg

The real issue is here I think - a very small surface which needs to be tidied:

the issue.jpg

I found this using the diagnostic tools in CFD 2015.

Thanks,

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report