Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't apply fully developed flow

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
OmkarJ
542 Views, 8 Replies

Can't apply fully developed flow

Ok, this is painfully hilarious.  I have a perfectly circular inlet but when I try to apply a fully developed flow condition (volume flow), it doesn't let me apply. When I untick the fully developed setting , only then I can apply the boundary condition. Going back to CAD (Inventor 2012), I can measure the diameter of that inlet boundary, meaning that CAD confirms its circularity, which is the requirement of fully developed flow!

Any thoughts?

OJ

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
OmkarJ
in reply to: OmkarJ

Someone, please?

Message 3 of 9
marco.mueller

Maybe the edge is split? Or not perfectly flat?

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Message 4 of 9
OmkarJ
in reply to: marco.mueller

Thanks, at least someone heard! But how to know if the edge is split? The CAD software confirms the circularity as I can measure the diameter. And Geometry Tools in SimCFD doesn't highlight any concern.

Regards

OJ

Message 5 of 9
marco.mueller

go to edge selection method and pick the edge. Then you'll see if it is just one or more...

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Message 6 of 9

Hallo,

I have the same Problem OmkarJ described. I can't apply fully developed flow as boundary conditon. 

I'm using a Student Version of Simulation CFX 2013. 

Is this probably the reason why I'm not able to use this function?

Daniel

Message 7 of 9
OmkarJ

Well it's just one edge! I had not been able to apply this boundary condition since ages!

Regards

OJ

Message 8 of 9
ilyas_drawbridge

Hi,

I suggest you try to export your CAD file to another format, open it in Simulation CFD and apply the fully developed BC.

I tried directly opening my CAD file in Simulation CFD using the Invertor Add-in and faced the same issue when applying the fully developed velocity BC (cannot press Apply on the quickedit dialogue box). For me, the problem only happens for circular cross sections, I experimented with a square cross section and it works fine(as far as applying the BC). For circular cross sections, I exported my CAD as parasolid text and was successful in applying the fully developed velocity BC. I think there might be a problem with the Inventor translations for circular profiles. The problem did not exist for the 2014 Beta version though. 

Regards

Ilyas

Message 9 of 9
OmkarJ
in reply to: ilyas_drawbridge

I have lodged the case with subscription center. I will update this thread with any remedy suggested.

OJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report