Discussion Groups

Simulation CFD

Contributor
cpatil365
Accepted Solution

Bringing the drawaings of Inventor to CFD and simulate

538 Views, 14 Replies
06-04-2013 02:59 AM

I am a beginner.Completely my work simulations has been stopped due to below issue.

I have  created my devices using the Autodesk Inventor. They stored in the "*.iam".

as assembly files. I wanted to do the heat flow simulation on my assembly.

I want to open these files Autodesk CFD. so that I can apply the heat contrainits.

But this CFD allowing only the "*.cfz, or *.cfdst" files to open. Pls help me, how to open my drawings in Autodesk -CFD.

No training is helpingme  here.  Pls help. Urgent. I waited for 1 month almost now. Pls. 

any reply is apprecieated!!

Please use plain text.
Product Support
apolo.vanderberg

Re: Bringing the drawaings of Inventor to CFD and simulate

06-04-2013 06:02 AM in reply to: cpatil365

I would recommend that you go through our example models (this is in the help) or the free Self-aced Fundamentals on our Wiki help.

The process for bringing geometry from Inventor to CFD is outlined in there as you would Launch (icon in Inventor) the geometry from Inventor to push to CFD.

Alternatively - if you are in 2014 you can File-New (as you are starting a new design study) and point to inventor geometry

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cpatil365

06-05-2013 03:38 AM in reply to: apolo.vanderberg
Thanks a lot. But the new issue is. I am saving in the "parasolinide" file. when saved in that, and trying to open in CFD, it gives error that opening failed. pls inspect the device. Device has all regid parts. no moving also. when I inspect it shows me that , 2 parts found. how to make all single rigid part. I am unable to do. any more help ?
Please use plain text.
Product Support
apolo.vanderberg

06-05-2013 04:33 AM in reply to: cpatil365

Why are you saving as a parsolid?

As I mentioned in my post, I would recommend launching frmo Inventor tokeep the geometry native and take advantage of all the associativity when you launch frominventor, or load the geometry in via the FIle-New dialog, not as a parasolid.

If your geometry is giving errors, then check to make sure that youre geometry is clean, ideally we'd like to minimize interferences (small press fits /etc) as this will require extra work on the interpretation side of CFD as well as potentially cause meshing issues even if the geometry came in

IF there are missing parts, check how those parts are constrained/mated to the surrounding parts as there will be something with them that is likely causing the issue

What is the error you are seeing?

Commonly we might do what we call the Rule of 1/2s to find the problem.

Let's say you have 8 parts in your assy,

Suppress the last 4 and launch in, did it come in successfully?

If so the issue lies in the last 4 parts, of them resume half (2) and launch again

We can continue this until we find the part / feature that is causing the issue.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cpatil365

06-06-2013 01:43 AM in reply to: apolo.vanderberg
Hi, Apolo,
actually , from my Inventor tool, there is no tab that I can open the CFD directly. Hence is the issue. Now I changed some materials also and exporting to Parasolid files is also giving issues. No exact error is coming.
any help further.
Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Chandra
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cpatil365

06-06-2013 03:24 AM in reply to: cpatil365
Hi Apolo,
Pls see my issue in the below link.
http://screencast.com/t/Pbwsqfnu2kX

Many Thanks
Chandra

Please use plain text.
Product Support
apolo.vanderberg

06-06-2013 05:25 AM in reply to: cpatil365

There is no need to start a duplicate thread on the same topic

Can you pack and go and attach your geometry?

The reason you do not have a launcher in SimCFD 2013 is becuase you are using Inventor 2014. When we put out CFD 2013 we did not support Inventor 2014.

If you update to CFD 2014 you will get a launcher in Inventor to be able to push geometry to CFD, as well in the File-New dialog you will be able to load Inventor files directly.

Also, I would not convert to parasolid as Inventor is based off the acis kernel, you would have more success with exporting an acis (sat) file. Failure to load geometry is typically a geometry issue, or at times a permission issue. Can you load our example / tutorial models?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cpatil365

06-10-2013 02:49 AM in reply to: apolo.vanderberg

Dear Sir,

I cant attched the "pack and go" as files are huge.  Anyways,  again downlaoded the 2013- Inventor version. Becuse 2014 CDF is not avialable for student version.

I have below issues :

1.  Now I tried to open the 2014-innvetor versioned geomerties, in 2013-inventor. They are NOT opening. Syaing that "version problem".  Now I have 2013-Inventor , and 2013- CFD both, But geometries are in 2014-Inventor. any solutions now I can completely migrate to 2013 -Invetor and 2013-CFD ? 

2. After I ninstalled 2013-Inventor, The 2013 CDF not apperaing in the same tool bars. Do I need to uninstall the CDF and re install CFD ? then only I can see the , 2013 Inventor and CFD both when I invoke the 2013-inventor ?

Thansk alot for your help.

Best Regards,

Chandra

Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
ilyas

06-10-2013 09:23 AM in reply to: cpatil365

Hi! If I'm not wrong, you can just run SimCFDConfig from your installation directory to install the Inventor launcher.

Please use plain text.
Product Support
apolo.vanderberg

06-11-2013 04:57 AM in reply to: ilyas

Correct.

When you install CAD after SimCFD, you need to run SimCFDConfig.exe (in the install directory) to setup the launchers for the newly installed cad.

Please use plain text.