Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Floor

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
nhahn
546 Views, 3 Replies

Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Floor

I am doing a wind load simulation on a large structure, so my wind tunnel is very large, per the guidelines in the AEC wind loads help section.

However, the boundary layer on the floor of the tunnel (the only non-slip surface) is meshing very thick, and this is interfering with good meshing on the lower part of my structure. 

How do I get the boundary layer mesh thinner in this area?

I can't use auto mesh refinement, since I have surface parts in the model; I'm trying to avoid refinement regions to keep mesh size under control.

Picture attached, and yes, I know the global mesh is kinda coarse.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
LKania
in reply to: nhahn

nhahn,

Without knowing the details of your meshing setup, the simplest thing to try is to reduce the "Layer factor" in the Boundary Mesh Enhancement panel. Rather than 0.45, try something like 0.10.

Lee Kania
Message 3 of 4
OmkarJ
in reply to: nhahn

Nick,

I had seen such "thickening" mostly when I enabled the Surface Refinement option, even if you reduce the layer factor to minimum. If you had it enabled, try disabling it to see if it helps.

Omkar

Message 4 of 4
nhahn
in reply to: OmkarJ

Thanks to both.  Knocking it down to 0.10 helped a lot.

Omkar, I may try that in future but for this one I can't remove surface refinement since I need it to mesh properly the many thin surfaces.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report