Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Heat Transfer Problem

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
djbelanger1
377 Views, 1 Reply

Basic Heat Transfer Problem

Hi, 

This is one of my first CFD models that I am working on for a university project. Basically I am just looking at heat transfer through this simple curtain wall model that I made in revit. 

When I go to solve, it seems as though it is only simulating through the surfaces of the model rather than the volumes. When I make a cut plane it is just a consistent temperature that is the same as the boundary condition on one side. I based my boundary conditions and solve properties on an example model we worked on in class which solves fine. 

Im hoping someone can help me figure out if this is an error with my 3d model or with settings in CFD. 

Here are a couple screenshots of what my results look like. the .cfz is also attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! 
outside.JPGinside.JPG

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

You are mixing up some of your solution settings.

Your domain has a singular hot temperature on one and a cold temperature on the other.

On the physics tab of the solve dialog, you have everything checked - which is not right

If you are trying to do Natural Convection we would want

Flow

Heat Transfer

Gravity

Radiation (optional )

You are also checking Auto Forced Convection which is used for Forced Convection models such taht we run flow only for a set number of iterations and then switch to a thermal only solution and solve for temperatures based on the flow solution. Since your model has no flow solution the thermal solution is the same as a conduction only simulation.

Also, if you are trying to do Natural Convection your fluid (air) should be set to a [Variable] environment which would allow the density to vary with respect to temperature allowing for buoyant flow to develop

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report