Discussion Groups

Simulation CFD

Employee
INACTIVE_AstroJohn

Re: Autodesk Simulation - Is this possible?

02-09-2012 11:39 AM in reply to: ryan.sanderson

Hi Ryan,

It is confusing, but Autodesk Simulation CFD is a different product from Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics and performing a fluid flow simulation (CFD). So if you are finding it hard to following the previous suggestions, it's because you are posting in the wrong Discussion Group! (The Discussion Group for Multiphysics/Mechanical is under Autodesk Simulation.)

I think your original question was "can it be done". The answer for Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics is no, unless these assumptions are true:

1. The entire flow passes through the turbine.
  2. If rotating the turbine to produce a flowrate gives the "same results" as specifying the flowrate to produce the rotation.

The second assumption is not true in reality since a driven turbine causes a pressure increase between inlet and outlet, where as a flow causing the turbine to rotate will have a pressure decrease between inlet and outlet.

So, where do you want to go from here?

Sincerely,
John Holtz, P.E.
Senior User Experience Designer, Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.

Current version of Mechanical & Multiphysics: 2013 SP1 (2013.01.00.0012 28-Jun-2012)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ryan.sanderson

02-09-2012 12:15 PM in reply to: ryan.sanderson
Hi

I have inventor pro 2011, I could try and find the Autodesk sim Cfd product you talk of, I'm a student ad can get the majority free off of autodesk.

Which do you use, so that I can try and Get the same version to work along with you.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ryan.sanderson

02-09-2012 12:18 PM in reply to: ryan.sanderson
Is the inventor sim Cfd already built into pro?

Please use plain text.
Employee
INACTIVE_AstroJohn

02-09-2012 12:40 PM in reply to: ryan.sanderson

Hi Ryan,

Inventor Simulation has NO fluid flow (CFD) capability. All of the Autodesk Simulation packages are separate and mostly independent. Since Autodesk Simulation Mechanical/Multiphysics cannot solve your problem but Autodesk Simulation CFD can solve your problem, I suggest that you download .... Autodesk Simulation CFD. (Actually, I do not know for certain that it is available in the educational version. You will either find out when you try to download it, or one of the CFD experts will reply to this thread.)

Just for the record, the simulation packages are:

• Inventor Simulation, which is part of Inventor Professional.
  • Dynamic Simulation, which is part of Inventor Professional.
  • Autodesk Simulation Mechanical, for linear and nonlinear stress and heat transfer analysis
  • Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics, includes Mechanical plus fluid flow and combined fluid/thermal.
  • Autodesk Simulation Moldflow, for injection molded plastics
  • Autodesk Simulation CFD, for fluid flow and combined fluid/thermal.

Sincerely,
John Holtz, P.E.
Senior User Experience Designer, Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.

Current version of Mechanical & Multiphysics: 2013 SP1 (2013.01.00.0012 28-Jun-2012)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ryan.sanderson

02-10-2012 08:33 AM in reply to: INACTIVE_AstroJohn

hi are their any users who have a copy of Autodesk Simulation CFD who can carry out a simulation for me and produce a report i currently cannot get this software on an education basis unfortunately grrrrrr

thanks

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Royce_adsk

02-13-2012 09:25 AM in reply to: ryan.sanderson

Ryan,

Sorry, but there isn't an educational version of Simulation CFD available to give to you at this time.  

-Royce

Royce Abel
Please use plain text.