Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Simulation CFD NACA0012 Benchmark Test

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
WolfgangFischer4396
4310 Views, 23 Replies

Autodesk Simulation CFD NACA0012 Benchmark Test

We have been conducting our own attempt to validate Simulation CFD 2015 by modelling the well researched and documented NACA0012 aerofoil section in 2D. We have been very disappointed with our results and would be interested if anybody else has attempted a similar test. Following the advice in the Autodesk help files, we have the following settings:

• Section: naca0012 (Have tried both sharp point and blunted TE profiles)
  • AOA : 10 deg (Have also looked at 8deg but has similar problems)
  • Reynolds Number : 1e6 (Match to data)
  • Mach Number : 0.15 (Match to data)
  • Farfield : 30chords (have tried ranges 10c to 100c, only about 1% different)
  • Mesh : Four concentric zones, mesh size =1/300th chord near section, increasing upto about 1 chord in farfield. Mesh growth rate reduced to 1.01 to smooth transitions. Typically produces mesh with more than 100000 fluid nodes.
  • BL Mesh Enhancement : ON (BL Layers : 10).
  • Physics : Compressible & incompressible (compressible is often unstable)
  • Turbulence Model : SST K-omega
  • Free stream turbulence intensity : 0.01 (reduced from default of 0.05 as this is external flow, all other turbulence settings default).
  • Advection Scheme : ADV2 (ADV5 is not significantly better and more often unstable).
  • Convergence Tolerances : Tight

Over a range of settings we have never achieved an error in lift force lower than 15%, and computed drag is typically 6x higher than published data for these conditions. I have seen considerably better results published on-line from Fluent and Cosmol simulations.
Is this really the best we can expect for this software, or am I doing something wrong ?

I have sent this also to Autodesk Support, with relevant files included.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
OmkarJ
in reply to: IDBateman

Don't have much in external aerodynamics but I have few suggestions/questions...

• A word on future plans to incporporate the Eddy viscosity transport model (one equation model), that has proved comparable to SST, less grid sensitive and inexpensive for external aerodynamic analysis? (Ref: A One-Equation Turbulence Model for Aerodynamic Flows. AIAA-Paper 92-0439, 1992)
  • Any comment on how to tackle the transition? In most airfol cases, the boundary layer is laminar near the leading edge and turbulent near trailing edge, with transition happening somewhere in between. Since typical 2-equation turbulence models do not capture this distinction, they simulate the turbulent layer everywhere, generating unphysical eddy viscosity nearby leading edge. Hence overall viscous forces and consequently drag are overpredicted. In the benchmarking I have done in the past, I found lift coefficients spot-on with respect to data because they are pressure driven, but drag coefficeints were typically overpredicted.
  • A word on how to ensure the boundary layer is "resolved" (integrated through). SST doesn't use wall functions but blending functions so not only having smaller Y+ values (ideally of the order of 1~3?) is useful but also it is preferable to actually have enhrancement layers to cover the thickness of entire boundary layer. On first run, while Y+ can be seen on the wall, it will be interesting to have some guidelines on how to judge the boundary layer thickness versus total enhancmenet thickness to make sure the steep velocity gradients are captured. 
  • Recommendations for simulating 3D wings (say Onera-M6)?
  • Guidelines for transonic compressible flows that are not covered in doco?
  • Project Ventus

Thanks.

Message 22 of 24
IDBateman
in reply to: OmkarJ

I agree with OmkarJ on his third point regarding Y+ assement of the whole boundary layer enhancement region. Exactly my current problem !

Message 23 of 24
Royce_adsk
in reply to: IDBateman

I do see this benefit, but there is no easy workflow currently.

Add a kudos to this request:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/simulation-cfd-ideastation/display-y-values-for-entire-domain-and-not-...

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 24 of 24
IDBateman
in reply to: Royce_adsk

The current display of Y+ appears to be designed for 3D representation, but in a 2D view there is some scope for improvement.

I've attached an imagine that may help explain my point.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report