Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk CFD Gasket Leak Analysis

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
fbertr10
533 Views, 4 Replies

Autodesk CFD Gasket Leak Analysis

Hello, 

I am looking at conducting a fluid flow analysis on a test spool I have created. I would like to know the leak rate that occurs at the mechanical join. I have modeled a RTJ Flange and oval gasket. 

I would like to show the deformation in the gasket when the bolts are loaded with tourqe, and I would like to know the volume of gas leaking when the spool is pressurised. 

Any help/advice on conducting this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
OmkarJ
in reply to: fbertr10

Wow, this seems more like an FSI (Fluid-Structure Interatction) problem, needing both FEA (for deformation of rubber) and CFD (for oil flow) approaches combined. Not sure if it is possible with SimCFD, though it will be interesting if there is a way.

OJ 

Message 3 of 5
fbertr10
in reply to: OmkarJ

I had thought I could test the deformation then run the FSI?

But so far I have found it impossible to find any information or guide on how to do something like this.

Is this possible or am I going to have to change my project to do something else?

Message 4 of 5
fbertr10
in reply to: OmkarJ

I also have access to Ansys through my university, is it something that may be possible on their? I had hoped to use Autodesk Simulation as I have access to it on my PC through use of a student lisence. 

Message 5 of 5
OmkarJ
in reply to: fbertr10

I think you should first figure out the what you want to study exactly, and then decide the codes to use it for.  Though I have never used it, Autodesk Mechanical does have some capabilities of simulating seal, and SimCFD alone may not be able to cope with. 

Following is a YouTube video demonstration for sealing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFgXjdEIZCA

Frankly, I am not an expert in FSI. But if you know enough about working in tandem with ANSYS Mechanical and FLUENT/CFX, and about the FSI methodology,  go for it. ANSYS products are mature in FSI, but again, you should know what you are trying to achieve.

OJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report