Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animate Record issue

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
worthidlj
441 Views, 12 Replies

Animate Record issue

Hi Guys/ Gals,

Thanks for your help with my last query and the simulation works fine... my problem now is trying to get the animation to work; I set a save time interval to be the same as the time step intervals (5 iterations per time step).

However, when the simulation is finished and I select the 'animation' tab there are no steps to select to swtup the video.

Any idea what I am doing wrong and how I can rectify it will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: worthidlj

Hi,

I think we may need to change how you are saving out timesteps.

Could you detail what your timestep size is, what your stop time/number of iterations to run for are?

We typically recommend saving out 20-30 or so timesteps per run, so that we do not produce a file size that is too large to re-open.

Knowing the above will help provide a more accurate recommendation. 

Right now it sounds like you are saving every step, which may not work so well.

Message 3 of 13
worthidlj
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the explination, certainly explains a lot.
The simlation is meant to represent an intake manifold on a car going through 2 engine cycles/ 4 revolutions; with a time-step of 0.0000364 seconds, 5 iterations per time step and a total number of steps at 1439 (to represent the full 4 revolutions of total time: 0.052303986 secs).

What would you recommend the ideal save time to be?

Cheers,
David
Message 4 of 13
Jon.Wilde

Hello David,

Could you not save out 30-40 results on just the last cycle? Seeing as they should all be identical. 

I should have asked this too, why are you looking to save out intermediate results? Are there specific areas of interest?

Will 15-20 results per revolution for the last cycle provide you with enough information?

Cheers,

Jon

Message 5 of 13
worthidlj

Hi Jon,

I can certainly give it a go, and may well restrict it to the last cycle as you suggested awhen I have run the simulation, without saving, the figures stabalise during the last cycle (last 2 revolutions) and see what I get (won't be until tomorrow with a reply as the simulation takes about 7-8hrs to run and I'm currently at work without access to my personal laptop with the work on).
My aim of the simulation is to determine the speed/pressure of air passing through outlets, when unobstructed by valves, to highlight how the lenght of an intake relates to the speed/pressure of air in relation to engine RPM.

Thanks again for the advice Jon I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
David
Message 6 of 13
worthidlj

Hi Jon,

Just finished the simulation, clicked on the animation and it comes up with only the last time step?!
I setup the save intervals (based om time) where at 0 secs it would have a frequency of half the total simulation time; then at half the simulation time it would have a frequency 1.40th of half the total simulation time (i.e. it only saves those 40 time specific cycles) so I should only save the results ion the last engine cycle.
Is that correct or have I screwed up somewhere s Idon't really understand what I've done wrong to cause this!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
David
Message 7 of 13
Jon.Wilde

OK, I suggest we do 2 things:

1) Run a quick test saving out every step and run for just a few iterations, just to test all is working OK

2) Can you post up the table you are using to save out results for us to verify?

Cheers!

Jon

Message 8 of 13
worthidlj

Hi Jon,

I've had a play around but now I keep getting a message saying "analysis stopped unexpectedly - please send to technical support".

I have tried attaching a copy of the cfz file for you to have a look at if you get a chance, it should show my tables as well, but it's too large (5GB when limit is 1.5GB); would it be possible for you to send me a direct email so I can send you the file?

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

David

Message 9 of 13
Jon.Wilde

That is quite a large file, really 5GB? Can you save out just the support_cfz file?

Happy to setup a Dropbox folder, but please don't send me a 5GB file as it will fill up my allowance 🙂

Could you share just a screenshot of the table?

Also, you may just have a corrupt folder, perhaps try in a new one?

Message 10 of 13
worthidlj

Sorry seems like I'd clicked the whole folder instead of just the cfz file (only 21lb)

Here it is below.

Cheers,

David

Message 11 of 13
worthidlj

Hi Jon/ Anyone else who can help,

I've managed to get an animation of the simulation be redoing the whole assembly, except the inlet valves, as one piece; this appears to have worked.

Now I've got the visual representation, how would I go about finding values at the 4 outlets at specific times in relation to valves opening; is it a case of setting up a results table which records the values at those specific times or is it more complex than that?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David

Message 12 of 13
Jon.Wilde

Hi David,

This really depends if all 4 outlets are in-line or not. 

I am assuming that they are so you wil need to add a cut-plane and use the bulk calculator to give you the pressure across each of the outlets. Then move to a different time and repeat.

Hoepfully you do not need to look at too many time intervals.

Happy to hear from anyone else if they can think of a better way 🙂

Message 13 of 13

Hi,

If I remember correctly, when you set the animation to play, and then use the plane bulk calculator to calculate the values, Sim CFD will print out the values for all the time steps played. With this, you can save the values in a csv file and sort them out in excel. It is not an ideal workflow but it should still be practical though.

Regards

Ilyas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report