Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analysis that is run overnight completes, but freezes

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
pwilkins
349 Views, 1 Reply

Analysis that is run overnight completes, but freezes

Twice now in the past couple of weeks I have set up an analysis to run overnight and have come in the next morning to see that the analysis has completed (iteration box shows the full iteration count) but has frozen my computer.  These analyses were large (6.5 - 7 million elements), but were running fine when I left the office.  I am not sure what could be causing the problem since just two weeks ago before this malfunctioning began I successfully ran an analysis of this same size overnight.

What might be the cause?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
apolo_vanderberg
in reply to: pwilkins

Philip

Typically if the model runs fine (while you're there) and runs in to issues overnight (while you're not), we may want to investigate if there are any processes that happen overnight that can contribute to the issue.

Some of these may include:

Mandatory Virus Scan, that may look at our temp files and interfere with the solver as we try to update the temp files

Backup software. Similar to the virus scan, if the backup process starts taking files we may get conflicting access to the temp files.

Encryption software / Updates: some IT require that drives be encrypted and if this process happens overnight, or IT happens to push out Windows Updates that force a reboot we can potentially get solver issues, or a reboot unknowingly.

Apolo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report