Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analysis has stopped because the Solver has exited unexpectedly - during meshing

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
rjohanss
740 Views, 7 Replies

Analysis has stopped because the Solver has exited unexpectedly - during meshing

I am doing some CFD work and have been able to generate meshes and run analyses for a while, but recently I have been getting an error during meshing stating that the Analysis has stopped because the Solver has exited unexpectedly. I looked around the discussions here but can't seem to figure out what is wrong. The error shows up during different stages of meshing, sometimes during the surface smoothing, sometimes during volume creation, sometimes during volume optimization.

- I don't think it is a problem with the computer hardware, as the computer I'm using it on has 48GB RAM and it is never all in use when the error occurs

- The files are located on a harddrive within the computer, so I don't think it's a result of a networked drive

- I meshed a model yesterday with no problems. I tried the same model again today with the same settings and I got the error. I even tried to coarsen the refinement regions but that still didn't help.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Reed

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
LKania
in reply to: rjohanss

We rarely, if ever, see the mesher fail as you have described. To verify that this is actually a meshing issue, can you locate the master mesher log file here: C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Simulation CFD 2015\mesher.log, zip this and then upload?

Lee Kania
Message 3 of 8
rjohanss
in reply to: LKania

I can certainly upload that file. I was able to get some simple geometry designs to work today and decided to give the previous design another try with the same settings as before that had worked and then not worked. This time it worked fine. I then modified the scenario, decreasing the element sizes in my refinement regions and tried to mesh the design and again it threw up the error. I'm attaching the mesher.log file as well as the share file for the design that is giving me problems.

Thank you,

Reed

Message 4 of 8
rjohanss

And here is the CFZ file.

Message 5 of 8
LKania

Seems there are two issues in play that tag team to cause the failure you are seeing sometimes during surface meshing and at other times during volume meshing. You'll need to (1) use the surface refinement option in the meshing task; simply enable the so named checkbox and hit the 'Refine' button, and (2) disable the multithreaded volume meshing option. I used the sharefile (.cfz) you had posted originally, and the final mesh was upwards of 7.3M elements. 

Lee Kania
Message 6 of 8
rjohanss

Yeah the reason I had enabled multi-threaded meshing was because the mesh had so many elements and I was trying to cut down on the time it was taking to get done. If I enable surface refinement and leave the multi-threaded volume meshing on, will I still encounter this problem?

Thanks,

Reed

Message 7 of 8
LKania

Reed,

Your reasoning makes a lot of sense, but issues with autosizing and the threaded meshing option are both contributing to the failure. You'll have to also disable threaded volume meshing and wait it out I'm afraid.

Lee Kania
Message 8 of 8
rjohanss

Ouch. Well thanks for your help!

Reed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report